Ilkeston Town 0

Guiseley 1

DESPITE having lost the services of Roy Stamer, Craig Smith and Chris Coupe in recent weeks Guiseley kept on the play-off trail with a hard-earned victory at Ilkeston on Saturday.

Since then manager Neil Parsley has signed midfielder Andy Lee from Witton Albion. The former Bradford City player can play on either the left or right wing.

Parsley is also closing in on a striker who he hopes to have signed up by the weekend.

A gritty performance was ground out in Derbyshire after Guiseley had taken a first minute lead. Their joy at scoring so early and with Simon Parke's involvement in the goal soon turned to disappointment when the big striker limped off with a hamstring injury in the very next minute.

A good run by Mark Stuart, back in his old left-wing role following Stamer's departure, set up Parke to shoot home through a crowded goalmouth.

Sadly, it was Parke's only contribution of the afternoon as soon afterwards he limped off to be replaced by Dave Henry.

Ilkeston were stung into action and their new player-manager, former Nottingham Forrest hero Nigel Jemson, shot over the bar. Then Henry, Matt Smithard and David Cooke all went close for Guiseley before Jenkins squandered a chance to bring the home side level.

The second-half belonged territorially to Ilkeston but they found centre-backs Danny Ellis and Lee Connor in commanding form. Holmes saw a shot deflected wide and Gaunt missed with a header but at the other end chances for Stuart, Neil Grayston and the ever busy David Cooke ensured they were unable to commit too many men forward.

Towards the end a Smithard free-kick brought the best out of 'keeper Turner and substitute Craig Cosgrove headed wide.

Town continued to pepper the visitors' goal but 'keeper Matt Taylor pulled off a couple of fine late saves to ensure three well-earned points for Guiseley.

Guiseley now have to hope they can take their improved form into Saturday's home game against Runcorn FC Halton (3 pm). The mid-week home game against Whitby Town was called off when the Nethermoor pitch became waterlogged.

Guiseley: Taylor; Hay, Ellis, Connor, O'Brien; Illingworth, Grayston (Cosgrove), Smithard, Stuart; Cooke (Denton), Parke (Henry).

Guiseley Reserves 4

Morecambe Reserves 3

Last Saturday Guiseley Reserves notched a superb 4-3 win over Lancashire League champions Morecambe.

Guiseley opened the scoring through Michael Slater and despite a further goal from Scott Williams went 3-2 down.

The mainly teenaged side showed their battling qualities welll led by skipper Matt Larkins and midfielder Adam Gilroy.

They hit back to level with a penalty - one of three good shouts - when Tom Marsden was fouled. He stepped up to convert the kick with aplomb and then sealed victory with a superb strike.

The 19 year-old former Sheffield Wednesday player is looking a fine prospect.

It was an unhappy return to Nethermoor for midfielder Lee Poole.

The former first team player was making a comeback and after just 20 minutes he sustained a foot injury and went off to hospital for treatment.