Keighley had to draw on all their resources of grit, determination and skill to snatch victory against a strong Darlington side with a late try by wingman Warren Knowles.

It was always a tense and close run encounter with an ambitious club which has recruited well during the season, to the extent that only five members of the team beaten earlier at Darlington took the field.

Keighley's exciting backs were quickly into their stride, forcing play to the visitors 22 metre line, where a good scrummage by the home pack caused confusion between the visitors' half backs, enabling Keighley stand off John Harrison to snatch a neat interception, leaving him a clear run to the line.

Well as Keighley's forwards contested in the scrums and rucks and mauls, they had no answer to the line-out skills of the much taller Darlington second row pairing of Radford and Hansom, who monopolised possession at the throws in, allowing their backs to drive the ball to the Keighley line.

A solid Keighley defence resisted several robust assaults on its line before conceding a well taken try by wingman Ian Fielding whilst Keighley flanker Simon Atkin was receiving treatment for an ankle injury which led to him being replaced by Michael Feather.

As half-time approached both sides survived close calls on their lines, firstly when Keighley full back Carl Smith halted Fielding with a last ditch tackle and then when another and almost identical interception by Harrison almost brought him his second try. This time, the cover held him just short, the supporting Richard Emmott being unable to hold on to a scoring pass.

Two penalty goals by Harrison against one by Fielding, however, enabled Keighley to start the second half with a three point lead, which was soon extended by a superb Harrison penalty goal.

The lighter weight Feather was hoisted in the lines to good effect enabling Keighley to compete more equally in that department until the athletic Hansom won good ball on the Keighley 22. The ball was transferred smoothly by way of full back Glendenning to centre Butler who crossed in the corner for a try. Fielding's fine conversion gave the visitors the lead for the first time. A penalty goal by Fielding extended the lead with 10 minutes play remaining and Keighley's cause looked lost as the Darlington defence held firm against a series of Keighley attacks. A missed drop goal and penalty goal by Harrison failed to relieve the tension. Referee Steve Lumb several times penalised the over anxious Darlington defenders as Keighley tried desperately to find an opening, before a perfectly floated pass by Harrison found Carl Smith in space. The full backs well tuned pass to wingman Knowles gave him an unopposed and triumphant run to the line. Harrison's excellent conversion provided the icing on the cake.

Keighley 3rds travelled to Wharfedale to play against their 5th team last week. With each team having won once against each other this season it was always going to be a test of character.

The Keighley side, with a number of changes, started the game like a team on a mission. With only eight minutes of the game played Mat Gaffney made a break off-loading the ball to Simon Shiner who fed Morgan who went over for Keighley's first try of the afternoon. With the try being converted by Duncan Grant it made the score 7-0. Both sides swapped missed penalty attempts and were locked in a forwards battle when Nick Wright kicked a loose ball 50 yards downfield. The pace he set made the defensive chase a mere token effort against his scoring Keighley's second try, with Duncan Grant converting, it made the score 14-0.

With this Keighley seemed to take their foot off the gas conceding a soft unconverted try to Wharfedale, giving Keighley a half-time lead of 14-5.

Wharfedale scored first in the second half and with the conversion were only two points behind Keighley at 12-14.

Any fears however, that Wharfedale may take control were squashed two minutes later when Nick Wright produced a carbon copy of his first half try which Duncan Grant converted, making a final score of 21-12.

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.