Guiseley 2


ALTRINCHAM came to Nethermoor Park to celebrate their UniBond League Premier Division Championship win and they were intent on celebrating in style.

The biggest home crowd of the season saw the Alty choir in full voice but they were soon silenced by a Guiseley side which responded to the challenge and gained themsleves their highest ever UniBond finish withh third place.

Guiseley stifled the Alty celebrations with a tenth minute penalty awarded when Stewart Airdrie was brought down.

Guiseley's quandry was who was to take the kick as usual spot kickers Peter Atkinson, Steve Hook and Simon Parke were all out injured.

Up stepped young Simon Phillips and he drilled his effort home with aplomb much to the delight of the Guiseley supporters.

Altrincham showed the football that has brought them promotion to the Conference but they were unable to prevent Bobby Davison's fired up side from grabbing a fine victory with which to sign off their season.

Guiseley had played very well in the mid-week game at Whitby and although only drawing 0-0 there they had produced another stream of goal chances.

They carried that form into this game against Altrincham.

Before the kick-off a minute's silence was observed and the Guiseley flag fluttered at half mast in tribute to Sir Alf Ramsey - the man who brougfht this nation its greatest ever footballing moment.

Mick Morrell exasperated the home crowd with some missed chances but it was he who grabbed the second goal to seal victory for Davison's boys.

A good cross from young midfielder Lee Poole was swept home by Morrell in the 65th minute.

Poole had another good game in the Guiseley midfield and was awarded the Man-of-the-Match.

Altrincham had their chances but generally their shooting was wayward and anything on target was easily dealt with by Steve Dickinson.

Guiseley have now ended a season which saw them get a glimpse of both the league title and the league cup but it was not to be as ten games in 23 days finally ended their challenge.

Manager Bobby Davison's main intent was to end the season with a higher placing than last season's ninth.

He has certainly done that with third place and a cup final spot but he will still be disappointed that his side let a chance of a glorious double slip.

It shows just how intense the pressure is in this league but it has given the spectators a fine season on which to look back on and something for the players to strive even more for next time out.

Davison and his assistant Neil Parsley have certainly had a season to be proud of producing an attractive style which the crowd have enjoyed.

Guiseley Reserves, with the manager let down by late cry offs from some players, saw their dream of a cup final place evaporated when they travelled to Lancaster City.

There was no score at the break but 15 minutes into the second-half Guiseley were trailing 4-0.

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.