100 years ago

THE landlord of the Greyhound Hotel in Barnoldswick applied for a special licence on the town's cricket field for two matches in April. It was to run from 2-7pm or until the wickets were drawn. The licence was turned down, however, after the police superintendent told magistrates the cricket field was midway between two public houses. The Herald's Barnoldswick columnist wasn't too happy with the decision, however, saying the "teetotal party" had been busy petitioning the magistrates. "If the players or members want a glass of beer they will be compelled to go at least 400 yards for it," he wrote, "and, as a member of the committee said time time ago, they can't all sup pop."

A hawker appeared in court for having no control over his horse and cart. They had been spotted by a policeman in Burnsall standing unattended on the highway for 20 minutes. The owner was fined 2s6d.

Settle Parish Council wanted to take over the management of the town hall clock. The clock had been erected by public subscription and the Settle Traders Association collected cash to pay for winding up the mechanism. It was now felt the costs should be payed out of the rates.

50 years ago

Residents aired their anger at dustmen and ashbins at a Glusburn Parish Council meeting. They were outraged with letters they had received telling them to change their ashpits to ashbins. The meeting heard that although the ashpits were in good condition it was a case of making life easier for the dustmen. Residents were unhappy, however, one commenting that when the refuse was collected by horse and cart the dustmen got on with the work and there was no playing about. They had their entitled cup of tea, but the present men were just 'taking the biscuit'.

A weaver sought more training for youths in the trade as he felt they did not have the experience to run a loom. Mr W Murphy, secretary of Barnoldswick Weavers', Winders' and Beamers', said when a young person left school it was possible for them to be put in charge of as many as three or four looms. He thought this was wrong and believed that youngsters new to the mill should be given the chance of learning the trade properly. In his opinion, they should act as helper to a weaver and then only be given one loom to manage.

25 years ago

LONG Preston residents were up in arms over plans to close the village surgery. It was reported at a public meeting that a group practice in Settle proposed to build a new and comprehensive surgery in the town at great expense. A representative of the Family Practitioners' Committee said a daily morning surgery would be held at Hellifield and the doctor would make urgent calls in Long Preston beforehand and less urgent calls on his way back. There were also plans for a message, prescription and delivery point in the village. Residents were still concerned, however, one villager saying Long Preston had had its own doctor for over 80 years and wanted to keep one.

Craven potholers Tony White and Lindsay Dodd were to embark on a 51-mile pub crawl to raise money for their British Speleological expedition to Papua New Guinea. They would be walking from Leeds to Ingleton, staying overnight in Skipton with Sid Perou, the expedition's cameraman. "It is not intended that they should actually imbibe excessive quantities of ale," reported the Herald.

The Conservatives selected John Watson to stand for the Skipton constituency at the next general election. He would succeed George Burnaby Drayson who had represented the division since 1945 and who was to retire at the end of Parliament.

10 years ago

A PUBLIC meeting was held to discuss Yorkshire' Water's plans for a £1million windfarm at Chelker Reservoir - now up and running. The company was planning to erect four wind turbines at the site, off the A65 between Draughton and Addingham. The plans received a warm welcome from councillors who were in favour of the environmental benefits, although there was some concern over possible noise and visual impact.

Threshfield School pupils were to be put through their paces by Olympic hurdler Colin Jackson. His visit, along with a cheque for £250 to buy sporting equipment, was the school's prize for collecting a mammoth amount of milk bottle tops to raise money for Save the Children.

Converted for the new archive on 30 June 2000. Some images and formatting may have been lost in the conversion.