Farsley Celtic 1, Bradford Park Avenue 0 - Farsley Celtic sent Bradford Park Avenue tumbling out of the West Riding Cup last night.

Farsley belied their lowly position to record a surprise but deserved win over neighbours Bradford in the semi-final game.

The holders have been struggling in the UniBond Division One all season but marched through to a second successive final courtesy of a second half goal from Gary Shaw.

"It was an unbelievable performance after what we have done over recent weeks but we were the better side," said Celtic manager Martin Haresign.

Bradford boss Trevor Storton had led his team to the final of the UniBond League Challenge Cup with a 2-1 victory at Matlock Town on Saturday but could not make it a double celebration in the space of three days.

"It was a great performance from us," added Haresign. "When the final whistle went Trevor shook my hand and said it was deserved and that says it all.

"It means a lot to me that he said what he did because it must have been hard for him to admit that but he made a point of saying it. What a fantastic night for Farsley, we will have all on to retain the cup against Harrogate Town in the final.

"But it is a lifeline for our season, it looked over and done but this will keep the interest high and the players will be playing for places in the final and that should mean we pick up points in the league along the way."

Celtic enjoyed most of the play in the goalless first-half but could not make the breakthrough.

Damien Henderson saw an effort cleared off the line by Micky Thompson, Andy Shields fired just wide and Avenue keeper Rob Montgomery tipped a dipping 30-yard shot from Danny Spence over the bar.

The visitors were much improved after the break but just before the hour Celtic grabbed the only goal of the game.

Defender Gary Shaw went on a mesmerising run and hit a low left foot shot from the edge of the area that sneaked in by the post.

In the 70th minute, Shaw slid in to clear a Dean Calcutt shot off the line with home keeper Liam Sutcliffe well beaten. Celtic striker Chris Newton was then guilty of a glaring miss in the 88th minute but Avenue could not force a draw as Sutcliffe made a stunning save to deny substitute Andy Hayward just into stoppage time.