Yew Tree 7, Pool Reserves 0: Pool Reserves faced a confident Yew Tree outfit who were out to exact revenge for their 5-1 mauling only four weeks ago.

Tony Kirk remained a virtual spectator for long periods in the Yew Tree goal in this fixture played in a howling gale and fierce rain.

Malpass had a full strength squad to select from, for once, and this proved to be the deciding factor but Pool must be given credit as they matched their more illustrious neighbours stride for stride until Malpass's trickery and fine pirouette saw his drive slip under the body of Pool 'keeper Megson.

In midfield, John Wilby and Richard Field were rarely threatened by their counterparts and hard tackling by Alan Wrigglesworth and particularly Tom Armitage clearly intimidated Pool and it was only a question of time as to when the floodgates would open.

Leading 1-0 and playing against the strong wind in the second-half, Yew Tree were slow out of the blocks and the back four of Thompson senior, Graham Pollard, Nigel Smithson and Alan Wrigglesworth earned their pay as they broke up wave after wave of Pool pressure.

Yew Tree then stepped out of second gear and every break on the Pool goal seemed to bear fruit. After a glaring error by Pool's Bumby, John Wilby dispossessed him and lofted in a beautiful chip from 40 yards in his last game before he emigrates to New Zealand.

An on-fire Scott Richmond continued his rich vein of scoring when he pounced on another error by the unfortunate Bumby to rifle home. A tactical substitution to replace the old warhorse Thompson and the tiring Field, saw Oliver Sutcliffe and Richard Danskin enter the fray and this dynamic combination paid immediate dividends.

In the following minute the substitution of Pool's Chris Graham after what looks like a nasty ankle injury did help Yew Tree's cause somewhat and a surging run by the diminutive Sutcliffe resulted in Richmond scoring a carbon copy of his first goal.

Ben Kelly then scored a trademark solo effort and the pice de resistance was saved for Richmond who ran the full length of the pitch, beating three players en route. He finished with a glorious high rising shot from well outside the area to crown his hat-trick and yet another Man-of-the-Match performance. With the game almost over, Wrigglesworth netted cleverly after rounding the very much overworked Pool 'keeper to eventually net his 100th goal for the club, which was well applauded by both sets of fans.

Yew Tree still had time to warm the fingertips of Megson twice more in the latter stages but the result was a foregone conclusion with Yew Tree's superior team work, fitness and commitment the difference between the teams.

After last month's bruising encounter, this game was played in a very competitive, yet fair manner and another polished performance by one of the district's most competent referees did not go unnoticed.

l On Saturday Yew Tree are without a game but will meet for training at 12.30 pm at Garnett's Field.


too strong

for Burley

Addingham 4

Trojans Reserves 0

Promotion chasing Addingham proved too strong for Trojans Reserves as they continued their climb up the table.

Whilst the home side were worthy winners the scoreline is somewhat flattering with three of their goals coming in the last five minutes.

Damien Smithson gave Addingham a first-half lead when he found himself unmarked at the far post and whilst Trojans battled gamely they created very little in the way of goalscoring opportunities.

Their best effort was a Gareth Goodison strike that Andy Dobson saved brilliantly at full stretch.

With only one goal in it there was always a chance that Trojans might get something from the game however these hopes were ended by Addingham's rousing finale which saw them score three times in the closing stages and the visitors Andy Wheeler red carded for a professional foul on Jamie Barrow.

Trojans Reserves are without a game on Saturday which allows them times to clear their heads for the visit of bottom club Spa Athletic Reserves the following week.

Otley and Old

Boys in county


RAWDON Old Boys have a date in the West Riding County FA Challenge Trophy semi-finals on Tuesday, April 9, at 7.30pm. They will entertain Hunsworth (WR).

The Challenge Cup semi-finals on Friday, April 12, at 7.30pm, see Otley Town play Campion.