100 years ago

COMPLAINTS of noise pollution are not new, but perhaps a little different these days. Back in 1902, residents in Skipton had to contend with inconsiderate bugle players. A letter to the Herald said: "Sir - Cannot something be done to stop the youths in the neighbourhood of Wellington Street annoying the residents by continually blowing a bugle? It's not one night, but every night including Sunday from about March to the end of August. I don't think the military authorities are aware of this or it would not be allowed, and the sooner it's put to a stop the better. Mind you, it's not for a few minutes only, but two or three hours which is beyond all reason."

Cases heard at Skipton's Petty Sessions also had their own twist to those heard in the magistrates' court today. Although the charges remain much the same, the circumstances were different. For example, one man was charged with being drunk and disorderly in public, but in his case he was in charge of his horse and wagon at the time. And a labourer was found guilty of the same charge, after allowing his chimney to catch fire.

Meanwhile, contenders for the seat of a retiring Skipton councillor were nowhere to be found, but this was no surprise to the Herald's reporter, who wrote: "The plain fact of the matter is, and there is no use disguising it, there is an evident disinclination on the part of good men and true to spend the requested time in looking after the town's affairs. Unless a member makes a hobby of local government work, he is inclined to resent the hours per week he must spend away from his business or pleasure."

50 years ago

SKIPTON'S schools were too crowded and there were worries it would be difficult to accommodate all the children joining after Easter. Education chief Mr H Marsden remarked that the position was "extremely serious". Parish Church School and Christ Church infant school were so overcrowded that they could not take any more five-year-olds after the Easter holidays. It was decided to look into alternative arrangements, such as freeing up space in the schools or finding other suitable locations in a new school.

Meanwhile, residents in South Craven were bracing themselves for three weeks of inconvenience following news that Steeton level crossing was to close on certain days. The crossing had been in a poor condition for some time and was regularly closed for repairs. However, this time it was being closed for about 16 days in a three-week period. It was reported that heavy goods vehicles would have to make the long diversion through Skipton and Addingham, but catching the bus would also be an ordeal. Passengers from Keighley journeying towards Silsden and Steeton would have to disembark at the crossing and walk over the footbridge, where they would find a bus waiting for them at the other side. The work was described as a "necessary evil".

Raikeswood Hospital in Skipton was recognised as an assistant training school for nurses and the first intake had started work there.

25 years ago

EMBSAY residents voted in favour of the village being included wholly within the Yorkshire Dales National Park. Only part of the village was within the park boundary, but residents attending the annual parish meeting felt it would be advantageous for the whole parish to be included. Despite their feelings, the village is still divided, part in and part out of the national park.

A Skipton cycle shop owner was introducing a "transport revolution" for tourists to the dales. Harry Hills, of Craven Cycles on Belmont Bridge, was planning to hire out bikes to national park visitors. He had already had requests from Dutch, American and French tourists and told the Herald: "When people who drive a car every day to work come to the national park they come for peace and quiet, fresh air and exercise."

Barnoldswick Park Rovers had signed former Blackburn Rovers midfield player Andy Burgin as a player coach. Mr Burgin's experience would be invaluable to the side and would add prestige leading to better gates, reported the Herald.

10 years ago

GUESTS travelled from throughout the country to attend a ball celebrating the 500th anniversary of Ermysted's Grammar School. The prestigious event was described as the highlight of the year's celebrations. Chairman of governors Roger Whitaker spoke of his pride in the school and guests could browse through an exhibition of Ermysted's memorabilia.

The emergency services and an RAF helicopter rushed to Ribblehead after a train passenger reported seeing an aircraft come down near Blea Moor tunnel. Police, ambulance and cave rescue personnel converged on the scene, but an extensive search found nothing. The helicopter was put to good use, however, going to the rescue of a young girl who had fallen on a nearby fell.

There were celebrations at Eastburn School after it won a 20-year battle to secure funding for a major re-development. Up to now, the 122 pupils had been crammed into a hall just nine metres by five for morning assembly and PE, computers could not be used in some classrooms due to a lack of plug sockets and the headteacher had no office. The £349,000 grant would be used to put right these problems.