Aireborough 22

Hessle 17

Captain for the day Richard Fall led his team to a gallant victory on Saturday in the second round of the Yorkshire Silver Trophy, beating yet another team higher up the league system.

The game was to be a tough one for Aireborough and would demonstrate whether they would be able to survive in Yorkshire Four next season if they gained promotion.

With quite a few of the regular first team not playing the side worked hard for their win, with prop Phil Kenyon and substitute flanker Nick Barber giving a bit of variety into the game.

A Mark Druce penalty conversion gave Aireborough their first three points putting them into the lead after only one minute with Hessle converting a penalty themselves just after this. Minutes later winger Matt Osborn opened up the try scoring with a well timed interception pass; going on to score under the posts well in range for full back Mark Druce to convert.

Hessle did some tactical kicks early on where the strong backs runners were chasing up and piercing parts of the home side's defensive line where the errors were finally forced, Hessle converted a penalty on 17 minutes to close down the points difference to 10-6.

The away team carried on with the pressure as they went over to score an unconverted try three minutes after to give them a one point advantage.

With another Hessle penalty conversion six minutes before the end of the first-half a sigh of relief fell upon Nunroyd Park when winger Clitheroe gave Aireborough a glimmer of hope with his well picked up try, converted by Druce which gave them a 17-14 lead at the end of the first-half.

Hessle started well into the next half missing two easily convertible penalties enabling Aireborough to fight back and defend their lead. Prop Tim Baxter finished of some good forwards work in the 66th minute with a dive over the line to end the home team's point scoring before the final whistle Hessle converted another penalty to leave the score at a respectable 22-17.

West Leeds A 31

Dragons 20

On a glorious sunny day with the temperature hitting 20 the Dragons were looking to breathe some fire on their strong opposition. Warm up plans were delayed due to the driving skills of Phil Sharp arriving 20 minutes after everyone else. Sharp made up for this on the pitch, commanding his position well.

Once he realised his inside centre would not pass the ball, Sharp decided to pass straight to the very impressive Chris Wooler, who immediately danced around the opposition to score under the posts for Sharp to convert. Birthday boy James Greenwood again gave a great display playing out of position at scrum half.

Paul Exley was outstanding while brother Tony came on to replace Gary Walker who went off with a knee injury. Tony Exley demolished the opposition to score a try. Terry Holt finished off a good backs' move powering over in the corner to score his first try for Aireborough.