Guiseley 2

Leek Town 1

AFTER picking up four points and extending their unbeaten run to 12 games Guiseley are still hopeful of making one of the UniBond promotion play-off spots.

The make or break Easter programme will make the position clearer with Guiseley visiting Whitby Town on Good Friday (3 pm) and then entertaining Farsley Celtic in the much awaited derby clash on Monday (3 pm).

It is a measure of Guiseley's current mood that they were highly disappointed with only a point from Tuesday night's game at Matlock Town.

A goal in time added on gave the home side a share of the spoils after midfielder Jez Illingworth had put Guiseley ahead with a lob Tim Henman would have been proud of.

Guiseley with teams above them to play such as Whitby twice, Farsley Celtic and Burscough, still believe they can gatecrash the play-off party.

Manager Neil Parsley said: "It is a tall order but we have given ourselves a chance. Another win will help our cause tremendously. We have given ourselves the best possible chance by going 12 games unbeaten and this has kept the pressure on the other clubs."

Guiseley just edged victory over Leek Town on Saturday with Mark Stuart proving to be the decisive factor as his two crosses from set pieces led to both their goals.

Leek got off to the best possible start when David Whitaker stooped to glance a header into the far corner on three minutes.

Dean Butterworth should have done better from a good position on the right as Leek mounted some pressure but skipper Jez Illingworth was showing great persistence and he almost brought Guiseley an equaliser.

Mark Stuart delivered a trade-mark free-kick from the left for big striker Simon Parke to head Guiseley level. Illingworth and fellow midfielder Richard Chattoe both went close as Guiseley finally found some form.

Leek substitute Chris Thompson, Martin McDonald and Rob Hawthorn all spurned good chances for the visitors in the second-half and it was left to the mercurial Stuart to help put Guiseley ahead.

He floated the ball over for young substitute Danny Forrest to head back across goal to Simon Parke at the far post. His header was cottoned onto by defender Lee Connor who delightedly prodded home Guiseley's winner.

With both sides on the fringes of the play-offs this could prove to be an important victory for Guiseley.

THE trip into Derbyshire on Tuesday night saw an even first-half in which defences were on top.

Matlock started the stronger but Guiseley hit back ten minutes from half-time when a Mark Stuart free-kick hit the bar and Scott Jackson just failed to net the rebound. A header from Simon Parke then went the wrong side of the post.

Defences were again on top in the second-half until ten minutes from time when a through ball saw John Hunt and the 'keeper competing for the ball which came back from the 'keeper to Illingworth who calmly lobbed it into the empty net. In the 94th minute with three points looking in the bag a free-kick conceded on the left touchline was headed in by Lukic to earn a point for Matlock.