A mother and daughter were left with crippling injuries when a banned driver on the run from police smashed head-on into their car, a court heard.

John Chambers, 49, was over the drink-drive limit and was wanted for breach of bail when he careered across Emm Lane, Heaton, causing the devastating crash.

Chambers, of Belmont Gardens, Low Moor, Bradford, was jailed for three years and eight months at Bradford Crown Court yesterday.

The Honorary Recorder of Bradford, Judge Stephen Gullick, told him: “Your driving record is absolutely appalling”.

He banned Chambers from driving for ten years and ordered him to take an extended test before he gets back behind the wheel.

Chambers pleaded guilty to two offences of inflicting grievous bodily harm on Karamat Bi, 65, and her daughter Rubina Bi, 38, both of Bradford.

He also admitted dangerous driving on July 13 last year, driving while disqualified, having no insurance and driving over the alcohol limit.

Prosecutor Dave MacKay said police tried to stop Chambers’ Audi A3 on Marlborough Road, Manningham, Bradford, at 5.15pm.

He made off down North Park Road, pursued by officers at up to 75mph.

His woman passenger opened her door as if trying to get out as the car sped along.

On Emm Lane, Chambers veered across the road forcing pedestrian Katie Holmes and her daughter to jump to safety.

He then collided head-on with a Toyota Corolla containing Mrs Bi and her daughter.

Chambers, who was arrested at the scene, told officers: “Why did you have to try and pull me?”

Karamat and Rubina Bi had to be cut free from their car by the firefighters.

Karamat Bi needed extensive surgery for broken legs and a double fracture to her pelvis. She spent weeks in hospital and her surgeon says she could be permanently disabled.

Rubina Bi’s left foot was almost severed and both her legs fractured. She too needed major surgery and was in a wheelchair for three months. She has been left with disability to both legs.

Chambers’ passenger had chest pains and a bleeding nose. She told helpers at the scene his driving had terrified her but he would not let her get out.

Mr MacKay said that at the time of the crash, Chambers had failed to answer court bail in Manchester after a 20-mile police chase on December 1, 2007.

He was on the run for dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, having no insurance and driving with excess alcohol.

He had been banned from driving for five years by Calderdale magistrates in May 2005.

Chambers’ barrister, Andrew Thompson, said: “He is sickened by what he has done and has no intention to ever drive again.”