A woman died of an asbestos-related illness after she was exposed to the substance on her father’s clothes while she was a child, an inquest heard.

Victoria Powell, 64, of Ilkley Road, Addingham, had never worked with asbestos or lived near an asbestos factory during her life.

The hearing, at Bradford Coroner’s Court today, was told her father, who also died of an asbestos-related disease, had been a maintenance worker at a power station when she was a child.

In a statement read to the inquest, Mrs Powell’s husband John said: “He would bring his clothing home with asbestos on it.

“Following his death Victoria had kept one of his jackets.”

Mrs Powell was diagnosed with asbestos-related malignant mesothelioma in October last year. She died at home on April 5.

Recording a verdict of death by industrial disease, Coroner Roger Whittaker said: “Without the industrial exposure of her father bringing asbestos home on his clothes, Victoria Powell would not have died of malignant mesothelioma related to asbestos exposure.

“Although she herself was not exposed in the workplace, this is related to an industrial disease.”