SHOCK has been expressed after a woman was "found on fire" in a Bradford McDonald's toilet.

The restaurant on Ingleby Road, Girlington, was cordoned off by police following a concern for safety report yesterday afternoon.

Officers attended and after further enquiries they determined that a woman had been "found on fire in a toilet".

After the fire was extinguished, the woman was taken to hospital with "significant injuries".

Police outside the McDonald's (Image: Newsquest)

This morning, the Telegraph & Argus was told by West Yorkshire Police that her injuries are not life-threatening.

The incident is not being treated as suspicious, according to officers. 

The McDonald's was shut following the incident but it was back open when the T&A visited this morning.

Staff there did not speak about the incident and advised the T&A to contact the McDonald's press office for a statement.

No statement has yet been received from the company's press office.

People who did speak to the T&A told of their shock at what happened and said their thoughts were with the woman.

One man was visibly upset by the incident and said: "It's very bad news."

Another man said: "I heard about what happened.

"It's shocking.

"We hope the woman will be OK." 

Delivery drivers also told of their shock at the incident.

On the T&A's Facebook page, one woman said it was "awful".

"Hope she recovers," she added.

"Poor woman," another person added.

"I hope she will be OK."

"It's horrendous," another woman added. 

A spokesperson for West Yorkshire Police told the T&A this morning: "A woman has received serious but not life-threatening injuries after an incident at a McDonald's restaurant on Ingleby Road yesterday.  

"No one else was involved with this incident which is being treated as non-suspicious."

Yesterday, a spokesperson for the force said: "Police are in attendance at the McDonald's restaurant on Ingleby Road after a woman was found with significant injuries.

"A call was received at 3.15pm relating to a concern for safety for a woman at an undisclosed location.

"Following further enquiries, officers attended at the restaurant where a woman was found on fire in the toilet area.

"The fire was extinguished, and the woman taken to hospital by ambulance.

"Enquiries are ongoing but at this time there is nothing to suggest anyone else was involved in this incident."