An ex-Royal Marine has been jailed after a savage attack on a former partner in which he threatened to kill her.

Bradford Crown Court was shown video from the victim’s phone that showed Lewis Lockwood looming over her in bed and pondering whether to “end her life.”

Prosecutor Jessica Lister told the court that the incident on the evening of April 30 last year followed Lockwood returning from a drinking session, which escalated into an argument, and him preparing to go drinking again.

Lockwood, 37, of Rushy Fall Meadow, Keighley, was also heard goading the woman, saying she had never seen him “flip” before pushing his forehead against hers and grabbing her neck in a stranglehold as she lay in bed.

Following the assault Lockwood went out and the woman fled to her parents’ home.

She later told police she genuinely thought Lockwood was going to kill her and was “terrified” that he would set her parents’ house on fire.

In a victim personal statement read to the court she said her world “fell apart” and said Lockwood had “no remorse or insight into his behaviour”. She said the long-term impact of his actions “will stay with me for a long time, if not forever.”

Lockwood handed himself in to police on May 2 and was arrested. He later pleaded guilty to ABH.

Mitigating, Rebecca Young said Lockwood, a former Royal Marine who had twice been shot on active duty, had received “very little support” in his transition from active service to civilian life.

She said it was not suggested that his behaviour had been caused by PTSD but that underlying alcohol use to deal with trauma could be a factor.

She said both Lockwood and his former partner had been under an enormous amount of pressure and that he deeply regretted his comments and his actions, describing him as “mortified” and “absolutely distraught”.

She added: “He only loses his temper in a heightened emotional situation [and] knows that he had nobody to blame but himself.”

Taking note of the threatening nature of Lockwood’s behaviour, Mr Recorder Bryan Cox KC said he set out to “dominate, control and intimidate” his former partner causing her “significant psychological and emotional harm”.

He said it would not be appropriate to suspend a prison sentence and jailed him for 13 months.