THE fire service has confirmed what caused a large fire at a Bradford house which resulted in the death of an animal.

Firefighters tackled the blaze, which covered both the ground and first floors of the property on Derby Road, Thornbury, just after 11.15pm on Thursday.

An aerial appliance, six breathing apparatus, four hose reels, and positive pressure ventilation fans were used to extinguish the fire.

It has now been revealed a ceramic heat lamp overheated in the property.

A snake perished in the blaze, the fire service added.

Neighbouring properties were evacuated for a short time due to being smoke-logged.

Crews were at the scene until 2.30am on Friday. 

Pictures show windows at the front and back of the home blackened.

Four fire engines attended - two from Bradford and one each from Stanningley, and Shipley.

A fire investigation officer was also at the scene.

No injuries were reported.

Full West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service statement

A spokesperson for the service said: "The cause was a ceramic heat lamp which overheated.

"Unfortunately a snake perished in the fire.

"Neighbouring properties were evacuated for a short time due to being smoke logged.

"We left the scene just after 2.30am this morning."