A strong smell of smoke is still lingering in the air after a large fire at an upholstery shop in Bradford.

Emergency services were called out to A&A Upholstery, on Summerville Road, at around 8am on Saturday.

At the height of the blaze, there were up to 40 firefighters on the scene.

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service worked swiftly to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading elsewhere.

In the aftermath, a pile of burned out materials and bags has been hauled outside the building.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Pile of materials outside A&A UpholsteryPile of materials outside A&A Upholstery (Image: Newsquest)

There are holes in the roof, leaving the rafters exposed.

Many of the now-scorched letters on the long-standing business' sign melted during the high temperatures.

'There were so many firefighters'

An employee at Hooked fish and chip shop on Summerville Road described the ordeal as “crazy”. 

The worker told the Telegraph & Argus: "We were here early getting prepared for the day, and there were six or seven fire engines on the road. It was a bit crazy.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Melted letters on a sign outside A&A UpholsteryMelted letters on a sign outside A&A Upholstery (Image: Newsquest)

"There was smoke coming out of the building, but the fire brigade were here straight away. They were very rapid.

"We were a bit worried it was going to spread, because with so many fire engines around you never know what's going to happen.

"The fire brigade got it under control, but it could have been worse.

"The road was closed so it affected our business, as the delivery vans had to find another way around."

Ali Mohammed, who works at nearby Frame On snooker lounge, said the business is part of the community.

He said: "They've been there for so many years. They're part of the local community.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Melted letters on a sign and damage to a roof outside A&A UpholsteryMelted letters on a sign and damage to a roof outside A&A Upholstery (Image: Newsquest)

"I myself have used them before. They're very good at what they do."

Khurshid Khan, who works next door to the upholstery shop at Cha Cha Chai, spoke of his shock.

The café manager said: "I came in at 11 o' clock yesterday. 

"The fire was out but I was shocked.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Damage to A&A Upholstery after a fireDamage to A&A Upholstery after a fire (Image: UGC)

"There were five fire engines and the police here.

"Their (A&A Upholstery) workers were outside, and they were upset.

"The firefighters were investigating all day 

"They came over and checked if there was any damage to our shop.

"There wasn't any, just the smell of smoke.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus:

"We couldn't open at 11 o' clock because the electricity and water was shut off. Our shutters can't open without electricity.

"I waited here over five hours and we managed to open at 5pm."

One local resident said: "My husband rang the fire brigade.

"You could see the fire and all the smoke."

One local resident said: "There were so many firefighters and fire engines here. I couldn't believe it. There were so many people."

Another added: "The fire brigade were here all day."

What has the fire service said?

On Saturday (January 27), a spokesperson for the West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Crews have been at an address in Bradford dealing with a building fire for most of the day.

"Multiple crews attended and used six Breathing Apparatus and four hose reels to extinguish the fire."

A spokesperson for West Yorkshire Police said: "Officers were called to assist colleagues from West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service at Summerville Road, Bradford, at 9:46am following reports of a fire."

Bradford, Fairweather Green, Odsal, Shipley and Cleckheaton fire station attended the scene along with special teams including a hose layer unit, welfare unit and two command units.