BOSSES at West Yorkshire Combined Authority (WYCA) have apologised to passengers who have been unable to top up their travel cards amid the closure of the bus station at Bradford Interchange.

It is now more than a week since the station was shut after WYCA - which operates the site - said there had been "some damage believed to be linked to recent extreme weather".

WYCA said it had taken the "precautionary measure" to close the station as public safety is a "top priority".

Bus services are continuing to run from nearby streets. Train services have not been affected and that part of Bradford Interchange remains open.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: The bus station at Bradford Interchange remains shut The bus station at Bradford Interchange remains shut (Image: Newsquest)

As questions continue to be asked about the closure, one woman contacted the Telegraph & Argus yesterday to complain bus passengers had nowhere they could use a machine at Bradford Interchange to add money to their Pink MCards.

She said people had been told they must go to Huddersfield, Halifax or Leeds to top up their bus ticket cards, which she described as "ridiculous".

WYCA apologised and said an MCard machine was being relocated to the rail station for people to access. 

A WYCA spokesperson said: "We apologise for the inconvenience the bus station's closure may have on MCard bus users in Bradford looking to top up.

"Work is underway to relocate one of the MCard bus ticket machines to the nearby rail station."

They pointed out that people can also make purchases through the MCard mobile app.

The woman who contacted the Telegraph & Argus also said she had been told the "problem area" was the roof above the staircase as people go from the lobby near the WHSmith shop up to the second level of the bus station.

She claimed that for years the stairs have often had to be cordoned off during heavy rainfall due to leaks.

The woman said: "Why leave it to the stage where it has got to this point?"

The WYCA spokesperson said: "Bradford Interchange bus station will be closed until further notice, with services continuing to run from nearby streets.

"The closure will allow contractors to survey the damage and report back on next steps to ensure it is safe before reopening.

"We have taken this precautionary measure because public safety is our top priority and we thank people for their understanding.

"We will know more once the survey work has been fully completed."