A 42-YEAR-old man who carried out drunken attacks on three different victims, including biting one on the neck, has been sentenced.

Anthony Cheale, 42, appeared before Bradford Crown Court in relation to two separate incidents earlier this year.

Cheale, of Rook Lane, Bradford, was firstly caught drunk driving in April near Manchester Road and subsequently attacked one of the officers arresting him.

A month later, while on bail, he attacked two neighbours after they found him drunk in a garden, biting one on the neck.

Bradford Crown Court heard how officers had spotted a black Skoda Fabia being driven erratically – kangarooing and reaching speeds of 45mph in a 30 zone.

Prosecutor Helen Chapman said when the officers arrested him and placed in the back of the police car, there was a struggle and Cheale hooked his body and arms around the ankle of one of the officers, threatening to break it.

Later, a breath test revealed he was over the drink drive limit with a reading of 49 micrograms of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

The second incident took place on Carr Street, in Bradford, where Cheale was found drunk in a garden at around 5pm.

A neighbour returned him to his partner’s address nearby three times, where a scuffle ensued. Both men ended up on the floor and it was at this point that Cheale bit his neck.

Another neighbour intervened to pull Cheale off the first victim, with the defendant getting him into a headlock and pulling him to the floor where he also suffered injuries.

Cheale pleaded guilty to drink driving and assaulting an emergency worker, as well as assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and battery.

In mitigation the court heard how Cheale was a different person when he was in drink, and following the first incident had contacted the police to apologise to the officer he assaulted.

He added that Cheale had a history of anxiety and depression and has a problem with alcohol.

Recorder Catherine Silverton told Cheale that given that he had already served the equivalent of a 12-month sentence, she would give him a chance to “break the cycle” he was trapped in and impose a sentence that would address his problems with alcohol.

He was sentenced to a community order for two years, including a 16-week overnight curfew, a nine-month alcohol treatment programme, and up two 30 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

“I make it very clear Mr Cheale if you breach this sentence, if you can’t or don’t take the opportunity given, you will be back in court and I will be sending you to prison.”