A MAN violently attacked his former fiancee, called her a slag, and lied that her injuries had come about from sex.

Rahul Ahmed, 30, of Grange Road, in Riddlesden, Keighley, was sentenced at Bradford Crown Court for assault occasioning actual bodily harm.

The 30-year-old pleaded guilty to the charge at an earlier hearing on September 4.

Ahmed and the woman had been together for about a year when the assault happened shortly after 9pm on August 3 this year.

Philip Adams, for the prosecution, said Ahmed picked the woman up from her house and drove to a retail park in Keighley.

Ahmed, who was drunk at the time, parked up and started questioning her about her past.

After about five minutes he drove on towards Bradford and then began to assault her whilst he was driving. He pulled her hair, slapped her face, and punched her with his left hand.

He then pulled over into a small car park where he stopped the car.

He called her a slag and then continued the assault by striking her twice to the head with a glass bottle.

He then hit her about the head with a plastic water bottle.

The victim raised her arms and hands to protect herself but she could not stop the defendant from getting her face and prizing open her mouth with his fingers.

After 20 minutes, Ahmed drove on again to Keighley. He started to hit out at the woman.

She managed to text her sister asking for help but she was too scared to pick up the call when she rang back.

There came a point when the defendant stopped his car on Belgrave Road, in Keighley. He grabbed her phone and saw the text.

He accused her of playing games and started hitting her again.

He then got out of the car, walked around to the passenger side, dragged the complainant out of the vehicle, and threw her against a stone wall.

He then assaulted her by kicking her forcefully to her upper body.

He continued to attack her until a resident shouted at him from his window to stop and the woman was able to cross the road towards them while Ahmed got back into the car and drove off.

The victim could be heard screaming throughout in CCTV footage from a nearby house, and Ahmed’s kicks were of such force they were also audible, according to Mr Bottomley and Recorder Geraldine Kelly – the judge in the case.

The resident said the victim had blood all over her top and numerous injuries were discovered when she was taken to hospital by her sister, including a broken nose.

Ahmed was arrested the next day and the court heard during a police interview, he suggested the woman had caused the injuries herself and that they were also from consensual sex.

He accepted the truth when he was shown CCTV footage of the last part of the attack but Recorder Kelly said even then Ahmed “minimised” the offence in an interview with a probation officer.

John Bottomley, defending Ahmed, said: “He is ashamed of his actions, he’s ashamed to have the footage played once more.”

The court heard Ahmed came from a “loving family”, was brought up by his mother and grandmother, and stepped into his absent father’s shoes to bring up his sisters.

Ahmed was handed a prison sentence of one year and 10 months, suspended for two years.

Recorder Kelly explained this was due to the numerous character references in support of Ahmed and his alcohol abstinence for the three months he had spent in jail – his first experience of this – and feels there is a “realistic chance of rehabilitation”.

The 30-year-old must complete a Building Better Relationships course as part of the sentence, 15 Rehabilitation Activity Requirement (RAR) days and 180 hours of unpaid work.

The court also ordered a 10-year restraining order in relation to Ahmed’s victim.

He is forbidden from contacting her directly and indirectly.