A FAMILY is calling for lessons to be learned after a Bradford man suffered a stroke following a delay in treating a blocked bowel.

Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust (BTHFT) has since apologised and said the failure "fell below the standards we strive to achieve".

William Jackson was admitted to Bradford Royal Infirmary with a four-day history of abdominal pain, diarrhoea, and vomiting.

The great-grandfather underwent a CT scan and his care was transferred to the general surgical team.

William, who used to live in Eccleshill, was discharged eight days later with plans for staff to arrange a sigmoidoscopy – a procedure to examine the bowel - in six weeks’ time.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: The late William Jackson, picturedThe late William Jackson, pictured (Image: Irwin Mitchell)

But the family said he was never informed of the plan and neither was his GP.

William, a well-known businessman behind haulage company WG Jackson in the 1980s, continued to struggle through his symptoms.

He didn’t undergo a sigmoidoscopy and six months later, his condition deteriorated.

William was taken to hospital by ambulance after experiencing sudden and increased stomach pain. 

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: William Jackson, picturedWilliam Jackson, pictured (Image: Irwin Mitchell)

He was suspected to have a perforated bowel and underwent emergency surgery, including to remove part of his bowel.

Shortly afterward, William’s daughter Anita Jackson raised concerns about him not using his right arm. 

He underwent a head scan which confirmed he had suffered a stroke. The former haulier was left with a permanent stoma as a result.

He was also wheelchair-bound and required assistance with all aspects of his personal care. Due to his extensive care needs William moved to Keighley to live with Anita.  

Anita, 61, instructed expert medical negligence lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate her dad’s care under BTHFT.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: William Jackson, picturedWilliam Jackson, pictured (Image: Irwin Mitchell)

Her legal team secured an undisclosed settlement from the hospital trust, which admitted a breach of duty through NHS Resolution.  

Irwin Mitchell said the trust admitted there was a “failure to arrange a flexible sigmoidoscopy to take place within six weeks’ of discharge on 29 August 2018”.

According to the firm, the trust said that had this taken place and shown a blockage, William “would have received treatment and would have avoided bowel perforation” and on the balance of probabilities “would have avoided the stroke". 

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: William Jackson, picturedWilliam Jackson, pictured (Image: Irwin Mitchell)

Speaking ahead of World Stroke Day on October 29, Anita expressed her hope that mistakes will not be repeated.

Anita, a senior support worker for adults with complex health problems and learning difficulties, said: “Dad struggled for months with abdominal pain and bowel issues but it still came as a huge shock when we were told he had a perforated bowel.

"Then to be told he had had a stroke was devastating. The hardest part was seeing him go from the happy, independent dad I knew, to a shadow of himself, in a wheelchair and relying on others to look after him.

“He lived like that for three years, and it broke my heart every time I saw him. We’ve since found out that the stroke was avoidable had the hospital undertaken a specific examination."

William died last year at the age of 81 from an unrelated illness.

William leaves behind a daughter, stepdaughter, two grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren.

He set up WG Jackson from the former Territorial Army barracks in Green Lane, Baildon, before moving to the former Council cleansing depot in Hammerton Street. 

The business expanded again, moving to Lower Lane in Bradford. Its fleet would deliver goods across Europe.

A spokesperson for BTHFT said: “We would like to pass on our heartfelt condolences to Mr Jackson’s family and express our sincere apologies that the care provided to him fell below the standards we strive to achieve.

“We took immediate action to investigate the circumstances surrounding the failure to make this appointment for Mr Jackson.

“We also took swift action to ensure that lessons were learned by all staff and that lasting improvements to clinical care were made.”

Lauren Webb, the specialist medical negligence lawyer at Irwin Mitchell representing Anita, said: “Nothing will make up for the last few years and everything William and his loved ones went through. However, we’re pleased to have at least provided the family with the answers they deserve.

“We welcome the hospital trust’s admission and are pleased to have been able to settle the case and provide Anita with some closure."