A LONE man in his fifties was set upon by a group of males behaving ‘like a pack of wolves’ when he was simply on his way to a Bradford shop. 

Hamdann Mohammed started the late-night attack by punching him in the face then others joined in and the victim was robbed, Bradford Crown Court heard today. 

Mohammed, 21, of Queens Road, Bradford, was charged with robbery following the incident in Manningham at 11pm on July 5, 2021, but his guilty plea to assault occasioning actual bodily harm was accepted by the Crown. 

Prosecutor Erin Kitson-Parker said he had punched the man but not taken any part in the robbery.  

She told the court that the victim was walking from his home in Manningham to a local shop when he was approached by a group of males including Mohammed. He went down a side street to try to avoid them but he was attacked in St Paul’s Road.  

He sustained a laceration to his right cheek and bruising under his eye. 

In his victim personal statement, he spoke of suffering mental health issues, including fear and stress about going out. He had nightmares and had lost weight. 

He had lost a lot of friends and didn’t trust people anyone any more. 

After he was attacked, he was helped at the shop and the police were called. 

Mohammed was seen with a bloody hand very shortly afterwards the court was told. None of the other males were apprehended. 

Stephen Uttley said in mitigation that Mohammed was 19 at the time with no previous convictions. He hadn’t been in any trouble in the more than two years since. 

He came from a very respectable family who felt shame at what their son had done. 

Mohammed accepted that he attacked the man first but he played no part in the subsequent robbery. He was a hardworking young man who would never trouble the courts again. 

Recorder Tony Watkin said it was ‘a disgusting and despicable offence’ and Mohammed should be ashamed.  It was a late-night group attack on a man simply going to the shop. 

“Like a pack of wolves, you turned upon him and ultimately he was robbed,” he said.  

But it was an isolated incident from an intelligent young man from a respectable family. He was industrious and hardworking and could be of real value to society. 

Mohammed was sentenced to ten months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years, with 25 rehabilitation activity days and 150 hours of unpaid work. A weekend curfew order for three months will be electronically monitored. 

He was also ordered to pay £1,500 compensation to the man and £425 court costs.  

A restraining order for 12 months bans him from having any contact with his victim.