WITH the busy hub that is Leeds-Bradford Airport, it is hard to imagine it as a few hangars in the middle of fields.

But this is exactly how it used to look, as this picture, taken in 1947, shows.

Opening in October 1931, the airport was known as Leeds and Bradford Municipal Aerodrome or Yeadon Aerodrome. Locally it is still sometimes called Yeadon Airport.

In the early days it was largely used for general aviation and training purposes, with the first scheduled flights beginning in April 1935.

To accommodate passenger traffic, work began on the first terminal in the late 1930s, although only the first wing was completed before the Second World War.

Many changes have taken place over the decades.

Now a busy international airport, it is unrecognisable from the scene in this photograph.