A MAN has been jailed for 13 years after causing the death of a cyclist in a crash and then failing to stop at the scene.  

Gregg Marsh, 24, of Bracken Hill, Ackworth was sentenced at Leeds Crown Court today after being found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving.

He was also banned from driving for 11 years and six months.

The charge relates to the death of 53-year-old Shaun Parkin-Coates in a collision on the Doncaster Road (A638), in Wakefield on December 21, 2019.

Marsh continued driving his heavily damaged Ford Fiesta for around five miles following the crash three-and-a-half years ago and was later arrested from his home address.

Mr Parkin-Coates was wearing reflective clothing, had lights on his backpack and "had taken all sensible precautions that we would expect a cyclist to take when travelling at night", according to Detective Sergeant Paul Lightowler, of the Major Collision Enquiry Team.

Footage shared by West Yorkshire Police showed Mr Parkin-Coates getting onto his bike at a zebra crossing in what looks to be a car park, before heading away from the area and onto the main road.

DS Lightowler said: “Shaun was making his way home from work, with just a few days to go before Christmas, when one man’s selfish and reckless actions took away his future. 

“He was wearing reflective clothing and had lights on his bike and backpack and had taken all sensible precautions that we would expect a cyclist to take when travelling at night. 

“Marsh could have accepted responsibility for what he did on the night but instead chose to drive away.

"He again had the opportunity to accept responsibility for his actions at court but has not done so.

"Instead, he has maintained that he did not see Shaun and that there were no lights on his bike, a claim at odds with CCTV and eyewitness accounts.

“Before the collision, Marsh had been seen driving erratically and, on his arrest, had alcohol, cocaine and cannabis in his system.

"His behaviour and manner of driving that night was dangerous and sadly has ultimately resulted in Shaun’s death.

“I hope the conclusion of the court case brings some closure for Shaun’s family and friends after what has been an absolutely unimaginable few years.”