AN elderly man and his son were taken to hospital following a kitchen fire.

The blaze, which involved a dryer, happened at a property on Cannon Grove in Heckmondwike on Monday (July 24).

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) received a call at 10.41pm.

The fire investigation team was consulted but not required at the incident.

A WYFRS spokesperson said: "Crews from Dewsbury and Cleckheaton stations were called to a fire in a kitchen of a domestic property involving a dryer.

"Two breathing apparatus and one hose reel were used to extinguish the fire."

It was confirmed all people were out of the property during the 999 call, WYFRS said.

"One elderly male and adult son suffered smoke inhalation and both were transferred to hospital by ambulance," a spokesperson said. 

"Smoke alarms were fitted and sounding at the time of the call.

"Fire investigation was consulted but not required at the incident."