The family of a man who was diagnosed with asbestos-related cancer is searching for answers into his death.

Former painter and decorator Jack Harris, 85, was diagnosed with mesothelioma after his symptoms began in the summer of 2020.

Mesothelioma is a cancer of the lining of the lung associated with exposure to asbestos, often decades previously. 

The dad-of-two, who loved fishing and going on holidays in the family caravan, died in March 2021.

His daughter Karen Little, 62, is now working with asbestos-related disease lawyers to investigate if her dad’s illness was linked to his work history.

Karen said: “Nearly two years on and our family is still struggling to come to terms with the manner of dad’s death. He seemed in such good health for a man of his age until this shocking diagnosis.

“Dad worked hard throughout his life and didn’t deserve to suffer at the end as a result of being exposed to asbestos. He was keen to find out how this could have happened but was too ill at the end to do anything other than give us some details of his work history.

“It seems only right now to do what he wanted and try to find out how he was exposed to asbestos. We know he worked on a lot of council buildings and on housing estates throughout the Bradford and Shipley area. If anyone who worked with him could come forward, it would be a huge help.

“Any information will help complete the picture and finally allow dad to rest in peace.”

Irwin Mitchell would like to hear from anyone who worked with the Shipley painter to come forward with information about his working conditions.

His career began with Bagnalls before completing his National Service and working for Shipley Urban District Council, before it became Bradford Metropolitan District Council.

Jack worked for the former Shipley Urban District Council between 1959 and 1974 and Bradford Metropolitan District Council from 1974 until 1991.

He worked on a variety of popular public buildings and housing estates. 

The Telegraph & Argus contacted Bradford Council and Bagnalls for a response but did not receive one by the time of publication. 

Hannah Robinson, the expert asbestos-related disease lawyer at Irwin Mitchell supporting Karen and her family, said: “Jack’s death is yet another reminder of the terrible legacy asbestos left behind.

"Mesothelioma is a dreadful disease with many people only developing symptoms many years after being exposed to asbestos.

“Sadly Jack died before he could pass on many details of his working life and has left the family with many unanswered questions concerning his exposure to asbestos.”

Anyone with helpful information should contact Hannah Robinson at Irwin Mitchell by calling 0113 394 6842 or emailing