THE BOYS’ Brigade was founded in Glasgow on October 4,1883 by Sir William Alexander Smith. From this one company formed in Scotland, The Boys' Brigade has grown into a worldwide movement, having worked with millions of children and young people for more than a century.

The founder’s introduction of camping into the programme in 1886 was a pioneering move. Widespread organised camping for adolescents was something previously unheard of. It helped to sow the seeds of one of the most popular recreational pastimes enjoyed today. The first camp was held in 1886 at Tighnabruiach, a village on the Cowal peninsula in Argyll and Bute. Thousands of members still enjoy holidays and residential activities as part of their company programme each year.

Taken in 1942, this picture shows The13th Bradford Company of The Boys' Brigade, in the Chapel Street area of Leeds Road, close to their headquarters in Eastbrook Hall.