A MAN has been jailed for 22 months after he left a dog walker lying in the street with serious injuries including a bleed on the brain and multiple skull fractures.

Samuel Hinchliff messaged an ex-partner saying: ‘I think I’ve killed someone’ following the punch that left his victim in a coma, ventilated and on a chest drain.

Hinchliff, 30, pleaded guilty to unlawful wounding on September 10 last year and possession of a knuckleduster and cannabis at his home two days later.

Prosecutor Helen Spector told Bradford Crown Court today that the assault happened in Oak Street, Elland, where Hinchliff was living.

The victim, who said he had known the defendant for 20 years, was walking his dog when he saw him.

The court heard the men ‘hadn’t seen eye to eye’ after Hinchliff offered his flat to someone else.

The victim saw him standing in front of him and then recalled nothing after he was knocked unconscious.

He was in a coma in Huddersfield Hospital having sustained multiple skull fractures, a bleed on the brain and facial fractures. He was sedated and ventilated and had a chest drain inserted.

Miss Spector said his head hit the ground with great force, bouncing slightly on impact.

A drink can discarded nearby had Hinchliff’s fingerprints on it and he was caught on CCTV walking away from the scene.

When the police went to his home on September 12, they found the knuckleduster and a small amount of cannabis.

Following the assault, Hinchliffe messaged an ex-partner saying: “I’m scared. I did something stupid…I think I’ve killed someone.”

He had three convictions for six offences but nothing for violence.

Aubrey Sampson said in mitigation that the victim was trying to get Hinchliff into the world of selling drugs but he refused to become involved.

He punched him once and he fell to the ground hitting his head.

Hinchliff did not intend to cause him serious injury.

His remand into Leeds Prison had focused his mind after he was going off the rails.

He just wanted to get fit again and find work.

“He’s got no intention whatsoever of ever going back into prison,” Mr Sampson said.

Recorder Tony Watkin said that both Hinchliff and his victim had offences involving drugs on their records and the assault was a feature of that background.

There was ‘bad blood’ between them with incidents on previous occasions.

After knocking him unconscious, Hinchliff left the scene and went to the pub without calling for help.

His victim was left struggling with his memory and experiencing mood swings.

Recorder Watkin said the 22-month prison sentence must be served immediately.