A FAMILY has been left devastated and traumatised after the sudden death of a much-loved two-year-old boy.

Albie George Galindo died at 10.47pm on Sunday, March 12, in Airedale General Hospital, in Steeton, near Keighley.

Staff had reportedly worked to keep little Albie alive for 45 minutes when his death was pronounced.

But the events leading up to his tragic death have left his grandparents Darren and Tina Kelly pushing for answers.

A hospital spokesperson said staff are now following a “stringent investigation process which they are required to follow”.

Albie’s parents Rebecca and Cameron first noticed their son was feeling unwell on Friday, March 10.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Albie George Galindo, picturedAlbie George Galindo, pictured (Image: UGC)

His symptoms continued into Saturday but he was still happy to play and laugh at home.

But it was the morning of Sunday, March 12, when Albie took a turn for the worse.

“He wasn’t well,” Tina, who has worked at Airedale Hospital for 20 years, said.

“Normally he’ll go downstairs for breakfast but he wanted to stay in bed. He was struggling to stand. His legs were weak.”

Albie was taken to Airedale Hospital’s A&E department after Rebecca and Cameron called for an ambulance.

He was admitted, diagnosed with a viral infection, and discharged within 58 minutes, the family claimed.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Albie George Galindo, picturedAlbie George Galindo, pictured (Image: UGC)

“Becky said they’ve never been in and out so fast in their life. In and out," said Tina.

Darren said: “She [Rebecca] carried him back to the car.

“She got a telephone call saying, ‘Can you bring him back? We need to take his temperature’. They told them, viral infection and give him Calpol.”

By Sunday night, Albie had been playing, reading a book, and eating popcorn.

Becky gave him a bath before her little went to sleep.

“Becky went back in and he was struggling to breathe and had been sick,” Tina said.

The couple took Albie to hospital in their car. 

“I was already at the hospital as I work there. I ran straight up to A&E," Tina said.

“There was a specialist registrar and A&E shift leader.

“He was being sick.

“They were putting him on monitors, monitors were bleeping everywhere. It was constantly bleeping. The specialist registrar came in and listened to his chest. It was crackly but he didn’t have a wheeze.

“They waited for the specialist paediatrician to come up.”

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Albie George Galindo, picturedAlbie George Galindo, pictured (Image: UGC)

The specialist registrar reportedly faced issues trying to fit the cannula whilst the family claim staff spent several minutes debating over whether Albie had a wheeze and if a nebuliser was necessary.

“Becky started saying, ‘Please can you do something?’.

“They were saying he didn’t need nebulising. It was the nurse that took charge and said, ‘We’re taking him to resus. He unplugged all the monitors. We got to resus, they couldn’t even get into resus because there was a trolley in the way. He crashed into the doors of resus.

“They got him into resus, they started chest compressions, they called the crash team.

“One of the doctors was asking, ‘Can somebody time this please?’. They worked on him for 45 minutes.”

Rebecca said: "I had to scream, 'Please can somebody help my baby?'.”

In the moments following Albie’s death, the family described feeling ‘criminalised’ as police officers followed their movements and Rebecca and Cameron were taken into a side room.

Albie’s grieving parents were reportedly told they were not under suspicion.

One of the lines of questioning allegedly focused on whether their son had ever been abused.

Meanwhile, marked police vehicles were put in place outside the family home in lower Laycock, Keighley.

Their house keys were taken away while the couple were not able to return home until Monday evening.

The family has since started the official complaints process against Airedale Hospital and West Yorkshire Police.

“They were being treated like criminals,” Darren said.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Photos of Albie George GalindoPhotos of Albie George Galindo (Image: UGC)

In response to this article, a spokesperson for West Yorkshire Police said: “Our thoughts and sympathies are with the family at this truly awful time.

“Police follow strict protocol in every sudden unexpected death in childhood.

“A complaint has been received by the Professional Standards Directorate and we are unable to comment further at this time.”

Meanwhile David Crampsey, Airedale NHS Foundation Trust Medical Director and Deputy Chief Executive, said: “We would like to offer our deepest sympathies to Rebecca and Cameron following Albie’s tragic death.

“We have reached out to them to offer our support at this extremely sad time and to ensure they are kept fully informed about what will happen next, so we can provide a comprehensive response to their concerns.

“All hospitals have a stringent investigation process which they are required to follow after the sudden unexpected death of a child, and we will be working with the family throughout that process.”