The heartbroken partner of a football fan who died after a brawl erupted between rival supporters outside a seaside pub has paid tribute to him.

Tony Johnson, 55, suffered a fatal head injury in an incident following his Blackpool side's 0-0 draw with Lancashire rivals Burnley on Saturday.

He was given CPR by police officers outside The Manchester pub on the town's promenade and was rushed to hospital where he died early on Monday.

A 33-year-old man from Burnley arrested at the scene on suspicion of wounding has since been bailed pending further enquiries until June 1.

Speaking on behalf of Tony's devastated family, his partner said “our lives are never going to be the same” after the death of the “beloved” grandad.

In a statement released by police, Tony’s partner - who wished to remain anonymous - said she was devasted to lose him in such a "cruel" way.

She said: “I am devastated to have lost my best friend, life partner and soul mate in a cruel act.

“Tony was a very much loved dad, son, brother, uncle and Gramps and obviously a beloved friend to many.

“We all, as a family, are so heartbroken and our lives are never going to be the same.

“Thank you to the NHS, staff in A&E and the Critical Care Unit at BVH who all did as much as they could for our loved one.

“Thank you for everyone for reaching out but please could you respect our privacy at this difficult time.

“He will be one missed gentleman and the party will live on through us all, just as he would've wanted. Rest in peace my darling, tangerine dreams forever."

Yesterday (Mon), hundreds of supporters met outside the Blackpool's Bloomfield Road stadium, including players and team boss Mick McCarthy, to pay tribute to him.

Council officials also said Blackpool Tower would be lit up in the club's famous tangerine in Tony’s honour, who was described as “a loyal and true Seasider".

Police say their investigations are still ongoing, and they’re working with both Blackpool and Burnley football clubs to establish who else may have been involved.

DCI Tracey McMurdo, of Lancashire Police, said: “Mr Johnson’s family are devastated by their loss and we are supporting them at this incredibly difficult time.

“The incident took place in a busy area and we know there were a lot of people around at the time who will have seen all or part of what happened, and there may also be people who filmed the incident on a mobile phone or captured it on CCTV or dashcam.

“If you have any information that will help us piece together what happened, please get in touch.

“We also continue to ask people not to post any footage they might have on social media.

“Mr Johnson’s family are distressed enough and seeing anything of this nature will only cause them more pain.”