An unfaithful man smashed his way into his ex-partner’s house when she bolted him out and then threatened to burn it down, Bradford Crown Court heard.

Mohammed Ashraf’s infidelity had ended the relationship but he turned up at the Bradford address and kicked his way in by shattering the bolts, prosecutor Nicola Hoskins said.

Ashraf, 32, a carer now living in London, pleaded guilty to using violence to secure entry to the house on June 23 last year, threatening to break down the door on April 10 and threatening to burn down the property on June 24.

Miss Hoskins told Bradford Crown Court that he had 12 previous convictions for 19 offences, including battery.

He was spared an immediate prison sentence after Recorder Patrick Palmer heard that the offences dated back many years, apart from a conviction for driving while disqualified.

Miss Hoskins said that the April offence happened when Ashraf became infuriated when he was locked out. He shouted that he would kick down the door so the woman let him in.

On June 23, she saw a message on social media from a woman who said she was having an affair with Ashraf so she bolted the front door against him. He arrived at 7.15pm and forced his way in by shattering the bolts.

The following day, he threatened to burn down her home, stating: “You watch this house burn, mate.”

He was arrested in July and told the police he did not mean to carry out the threat.

He pleaded guilty to the three offences on the day of his trial in November.

Miss Hoskins said his former partner had not wanted to attend court because the experience would be too stressful.

Celine Kart said in mitigation that it was ‘a toxic relationship’ and the offences happened because of Ashraf’s infidelity.

Both he and his former partner now wanted to move on with their lives.

Ashraf had made ‘empty threats’ that he had no intention of carrying out. He would now seek help with his anger management issues.

Recorder Palmer said Ashraf had become infuriated in April and again acted in temper when he kicked the door in. The following day he had threatened to burn down the house. They were serious offences that caused a great deal of distress.

Ashraf was sentenced to six months imprisonment, suspended for two years, with 20 rehabilitation activity days and 100 hours of unpaid work.

He was ordered to pay £150 costs.