A HOT-TEMPERED friendly between Albion Sports and Pontefract Collieries was abandoned last night.

Collieries were leading 1-0 when a melee broke out on the pitch, which continued on the sidelines, with Pontefract manager Craig Rouse dismissed by the referee.

An Albion source told the T&A: “We were on top at the back end of the game and their fitness was waning.

“We had three or four corners in a row, and they had a player they’d brought back on that was nipping and elbowing our lads.

“There was an altercation and one of our players ended up on the floor, though Pontefract have claimed our lad lashed out first, and that’s something we’ve not got to the bottom of.

“There was a melee then on the pitch but that was split up and we headed back to the touchline.”

The source said there was then a heated incident involving their manager, with tensions rising further.

“The referee saw that and it kicked off again with players charging at each other.

“The referee sent their manager off and then a decision was taken to abandon the game.”

Pontefract vice-chairman Tom Wiles said: “We’re taking witness statements from the crowd over some of the goings on off the pitch and we’re downloading the video to review what went on on the pitch.

“If we have anything serious to answer to, we won’t be brushing it under the carpet, as we’re a community club that wants people to feel welcome.

“We’re happy to co-operate with the FA at all times if they want us to.

“On the pitch it was massive melee so it was hard to unpack exactly what went on during that, which is why we’re investigating the footage.”

Bradford side Albion are pencilled in to have one more friendly, away to Harrogate Railway Athletic on July 25, before starting their Northern Counties East League Premier Division season on July 30 at Barton Town.

Elsewhere last night, Campion beat Steeton 6-0, Brighouse Town drew 1-1 in the Yorkshire Trophy with Horbury Town and Guiseley beat York City 1-0.

Meanwhile, Bradford (Park Avenue) are now playing Eccleshill United tonight, after the Horsfall’s side scheduled opponents, Sheffield United Under-23s, had to pull out due to injuries.