A fire broke out in a high-rise building in Bradford city centre last night.

The blaze, which is thought to have broke out inside Landmark House, an apartment block on the street of Broadway, prompted a full evacuation where at least 10 fire engines were in attendance.

One onlooker said ambulances were also on the scene, adding that he thought it might be a precaution due to the risks relating to fires in such buildings.

A resident who has lived on the sixth floor of the building for around 2 years said that is thought that a faulty appliance on the fifth floor is the cause of the blaze.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: Emergency response when the fire broke out. Picture: Maria Bhatti/FacebookEmergency response when the fire broke out. Picture: Maria Bhatti/Facebook

"I was just sat watching TV but we have a constant problem the with fire alarm. It goes off 3-4 times a month.

"When people are cooking they are opening doors, all smoke goes to corridors, everyone knows that. This time when I heard the alarm I thought same thing had happened again.

"After maybe half an hour firefighters started screaming and banging on the door and that's when I knew this time was different. It was quite scary" she said.

The drama began to unfold at around 9.30pm, with sirens ringing out across the city as emergency crews headed towards the blaze.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: A fire engine is still present at the siteA fire engine is still present at the site

Paddy Power, a betting shop underneath the building confirmed that they had to close for the night as a result of the blaze.

Shortly after the fire broke out, West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service said: "Ten fire appliances are currently in attendance at a high-rise building fire in Bradford."

Later, at 10.40pm, the fire service provided an update to say: "Full evacuation of the building was carried out. Fire was contained to one flat and now extinguished.

Residents are thought to have been able to return to their accomodation after around four hours.

"The incident has been reduced to 4 fire appliances."

The fire engines initially scrambled to the scene included two from Bradford Fire Station, one from Shipley, one from Odsal, an appliance from Fairweather Green, another from Stanningley, one from Cleckheaton, an engine from Rawdon, one from Bingley and a crew from Illingworth.

Three specialist units also attended, namely an aerial appliance, command unit and command unit support.

Fire crew have indicated that the incidident currently looks to be accidental – however the investigation is not concluded – and officers are back at the scene today.

Tim Dickinson, director of Hunters Residential Block Management, which manages the building said: "We carried out an inspection with the fire service this morning and they seemed quite content with the building.

"The fire occurred, the systems within the building worked effectively to contain the fire, thankfully no one was hurt and only one flat was damaged. We will continue to work with the fire service to make sure the building is up to standard."

Mr Dickinson confirmed that 'a number of residents that located close to the flat that was damaged by fire were rehoused for the time being.'

And some electrical work is in the process of being completed 'to make the corridors safe.'

Want to keep up with all the latest breaking news? Join our Bradford Crime & Breaking News Facebook group

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram to keep up with all the latest news.

Have you got a story for us? Email newsdesk@telegraphandargus.co.uk or contact us here or call us on 01274 705292.