A CHALLENGE has been made over the jail term handed to a speeding driver who killed a mother of five.

Jamie Taylor ploughed into Iram Shahzada on the afternoon of May 10 last year, while she was walking the short distance to collect her daughter from school.

Taylor pleaded guilty to causing the death of Mrs Shahzada by dangerous driving at the junction of Beech Terrace and Hinchcliffe Street in Bradford Moor.

Last week, he was jailed for seven and a half years, plus 18 months for an unrelated offence of unlawful wounding, making a total sentence of 9 years.

Now a bid had been made under a scheme for sentences thought to be too lenient.

The Attorney General must now decide whether to refer Taylor’s sentence to the Court of Appeal.

Under the rules of the unduly lenient sentence scheme, the Attorney General's Office has 28 days from the date of sentence to make a decision on the case.

They can decide to send the matter to the Court of Appeal, which could decide that the sentence: should stay the same; is unreasonably low and may increase it; or refuse to hear the case.

The scheme itself allows victims of crime, their families, prosecutors and the public to ask the Law Officers to review sentences for certain crimes that they believe are too low.

Bradford Telegraph and Argus: The scene and floral tributesThe scene and floral tributes

Bradford Crown Court had heard that Taylor tested positive for cocaine after he hit Mrs Shahzada.

Taylor, 42, of Hendford Drive, Pollard Park, Bradford, wept as heart-breaking victim personal statements were read out by members of her family.

Prosecutor Chloe Fairley said Mrs Shahzada, who lived on Hinchcliffe Street, was just minutes from her home on her way to pick up her five-year-old daughter from Lapage Primary School on Barkerend Road.

She was on the pavement when she was hit by Taylor who was at the wheel of a silver Citroen C1.

A Parcelforce driver described seeing the car ‘swinging about’ and going ‘extremely fast’ downhill before the tragic impact.

Taylor staggered away from the vehicle making “no attempt whatsoever to check on the lady lying on the ground,” Miss Fairley said.

Mrs Shahzada was unconscious with head injuries. An ambulance and the air ambulance attended at the scene but the paramedics were unable to save her.

Mrs Shahzada was pronounced dead at the scene, the court was told.

Taylor was banned from driving for nine and a half years.

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

For all the top news updates from right across the region straight to your inbox, sign up to our newsletter here.

Have you got a story for us? Contact our newsdesk on newsdesk@telegraphandargus.co.uk