QUICK thinking by a motorist and staff at a Keighley petrol station helped avert a potential disaster.

Workers at Texaco premises in Hard Ings Road noticed smoke coming from the bonnet of a Volkswagen Golf parked-up at the pumps.

They alerted the driver, who managed to move the vehicle to a safe area. The car then burst into flames.

"The alertness of the staff in spotting what was happening and the actions of the driver in getting the car away from the pumps prevented what could have been a catastrophic situation," said crew commander Adam Dykes, of Keighley fire station.

One crew from the Keighley station attended the incident, at 8.30pm yesterday.

The firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel jet to tackle the fire.

It is believed the blaze, which extensively damaged the engine compartment, was due to accidental overheating.

Members of the public had also tried tackling the fire with extinguishers.

Early this morning – shortly before 3am – firefighters were called out again, this time to Illingworth Close in Keighley.

A Vauxhall Vivaro, which it's believed had been deliberately set alight, had rolled down the hill and three other vehicles caught fire.

Police are investigating.