BRADFORD’S Victorian architecture owes much to architects Lockwood and Mawson, who designed, among many other buildings, the town hall, built in 1870.

Constructed by John Ives & Son of Shipley, it took three years to build, at a cost of £100,000.

The town hall, now called City Hall, was opened by Lord Mayor of Bradford Matthew Thompson on September 9, 1873.

The building was extended in 1909, to accommodate another council chamber, more committee rooms and a banqueting hall.

Pictured here is the laying the foundation stone. It was laid by the then Mayor, Alderman Mark Dawson, on August 10, 1870.

Looks like it drew quite a crowd! Many of those present would have been labourers involved with the construction of the mighty building - one of the architectural jewels in Bradford’s crown.