The driver of a stolen black Audi A8 has been jailed after he accelerated away from the police at 138mph on the M62 before heading for Bradford city centre at 93mph in a 30 zone.

Eesa Khan was locked up for 14 months for the aggressive and dangerous high speed chase in a car that had been taken in a burglary and was on cloned plates.

Prosecutor Emma Handley told Bradford Crown Court that a police officer on patrol in a marked patrol car saw the Audi going at excessive speed on the M62 at 9.25pm.

He set off after it but was failing to catch it up despite doing 120mph.

The Audi was weaving across all three lanes, undertaking and overtaking.

After Junction 25, the police officer caught up with Khan who had dropped back to 90mph and had braked three times for no apparent reason.

When he became aware of the patrol car behind him, he accelerated away from the officer who was doing 138mph, Miss Handley said. He activated his sirens and blue light and sped off after him.

Khan braked harshly when turning on to the M606 before increasing his speed to 125mph. At this time he was disappearing off and the police had to use CCTV to work out where he had gone.

He drove on to Mayo Avenue and Manchester Road, pushing his way through the traffic and forcing other road users to take evasive action.

By now the Audi had hit another vehicle and it was doing 93mph on the dual carriageway heading into the city centre. Miss Handley said the speed limit on that stretch of road was 30mph.

Khan was in the area of Bowling Old Lane when he leapt from the moving car and ran away only to be detained and arrested.

Miss Handley said a rear wheel of the Audi had bent inwards and a front tyre was off its rim. There were deep scrape marks in the road and it had struck a barrier on Manchester Road.

Khan told the police: “I panicked. I got scared.”

The Audi had been stolen in a burglary in Greater Manchester which was still being investigated, the court was told.

Khan, 22, of Midland Road, Derby, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving and driving unlicensed and uninsured on July 25 last year.

His barrister, Christopher Styles, said in mitigation that he had admitted the offences at the first opportunity in the magistrates’ court.

He had mental health problems and possible ADHD and PDSD.

Khan was now working for a car company in Leicester and that provided him with the structure to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Family members were supporting him in the law-abiding life he had lived since committing the offences nine months ago.

If he was jailed, he would lose his job and his accommodation.

Judge Andrew Hatton said the maximum penalty for dangerous driving was ‘for some bizarre reason’ two years’ imprisonment.

Khan’s driving was aggressive and dangerous and had persisted for many miles at great speed.

He was in a stolen car and had never passed a driving test.

He was banned from driving for three years and seven months and until he passes an extended retest.