THE Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) is continuing to work to get a man, arrested on suspicion of the murder of PC Sharon Beshenivsky two years ago, extradited from Pakistan.

Piran Ditta Khan, who is now believed to be 72, was detained in the Middle Eastern country on January 6, 2020.

It was on suspicion of the murder of PC Sharon Beshenivsky, who was killed on duty just over 16 years ago.

But there has seemingly been no movement on the case since Khan's arrest, who remains in prison in Pakistan.

West Yorkshire Police gave a statement in summer 2021, outlining there was an ongoing judicial process in that country, with no new court date set.

The T&A asked for an update from both the force and the CPS last Friday, with West Yorkshire Police responding to say the case was still in the same position.

But the CPS replied on Monday afternoon with slightly more details.

A CPS spokesperson said: “The suspect is in custody in Pakistan and the court in Islamabad is considering extradition.

"We continue to work with colleagues in the UK and in Pakistan to progress the various hearings in connection with the extradition application.”

PC Sharon Beshenivsky was killed on November 18, 2005, while responding to a bungled armed robbery at Universal Travel in Morley Street, Bradford.

The 38-year-old mother of three, with two stepchildren, was a probationer and had only worked in the role for nine months when she was fatally shot.

She was only the second policewoman to be killed on duty in the UK and it came on her youngest daughter Lydia's fourth birthday.

Sharon Beshenivsky's colleague, PC Teresa Millburn, was also shot back in 2005.

But she survived and later gave evidence at the trial of members of the armed gang who were charged with being involved in the murder.

Six men were later jailed at Newcastle Crown Court, while Khan, who was suspected of being the gang organiser, had fled abroad.

In 2016, West Yorkshire Police issued a fresh appeal to find him, as he remained at large, despite a £20,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.

Four years later, Khan was arrested in Pakistan.

Khan appeared in an Islamabad court on January 8, 2020 where his extradition was discussed.

The next update after that came on January 10, 2021, when The Mirror reported Khan was due to appear at a court in Islamabad the day after (January 11).