A man beat and kicked his father to death in a “savage and sustained” attack at the family home in Bradford, a jury heard today.

Phillip Tajinder Badwal, 25, is on trial at Bradford Crown Court denying the murder of 59-year-old Santokh ‘Charlie’ Singh on November 30, 2020.

The court heard that police and paramedics arrived at the home Badwal shared with his parents on Airedale Road, Undercliffe, to find Mr Singh propped up against the stairs.

Prosecutor Richard Wright QC said Badwal had rung 999 for an ambulance, saying his father had been assaulted and was in a reduced state of consciousness.

Badwal told the operator that Mr Singh’s face was “all smashed up” and he “must have been out drinking or summat.”

An ambulance crew and the police arrived to find Mr Singh topless and gravely injured. His head was covered in lacerations and he was unresponsive.

Mr Wright said he was dying or already dead. Despite efforts by paramedics to save him, he was pronounced dead at the scene.

It is alleged that Badwal had subjected his father to “a savage beating” over a pro-longed period of time.

Mr Wright said blows had been rained on him with a cricket bat, he had been kicked with a shod foot and a metal dog bowl had very likely been used in the assault.

The jury heard that the attack was “savage and sustained” and caused massive injuries including a skull fracture and broken legs.

The living room was covered in blood, with multiple attack sites identified, Mr Wright said. Wet blood had been projected on to surfaces while Mr Singh was injured and bleeding, it was alleged, and he could have been crawling round the room during the assault.

Mr Wright told the jury that Mr Singh was “beaten to death by his own son.”

He said that Mr Singh had two older sons from an earlier relationship before marrying and having two more sons, including Badwal.

The jury was told that Mr Singh was planning to move out of his home to a flat in Shipley.

His older children had noticed a significant deterioration in him. He had lost his job and become “diminished.”

He had said that Phillip had threatened and assaulted him, the court was told.

It was his 59th birthday the day before he died and his older sons had taken him to see the new flat and bought him whisky and given him money, the court was told.

When he got home that night, Badwal was asking him to sort out the supply of Class A drugs for him, Mr Wright said.

He told the court the attack started at around 6.55am when a neighbour head shouting and banging from next door.

At 7.07am, CCTV cameras picked up the family dog walking away from the scene.

At 7.56am, Mr Singh’s phone made a call to a drugs line and there were further calls that morning.

“It wasn’t Santokh Singh using the phone, he was already dead or dying,” Mr Wright said.

He alleged Badwal was using the phone to try to obtain drugs before calling for an am-bulance with it at 8.25am and making subsequent 999 calls.

The jury heard the first call played in court in which Badwal says he needs an ambu-lance and that his father is “half awake, half not awake.”

Mr Wright said Badwal’s account that he had come downstairs and found his father in-jured was “entirely dishonest.”

He alleged that Badwal had prioritised his drug addiction above seeking help for his mortally injured father.

He was using his father’s phone to call a drug dealer after he had attacked him.

Badwal was “aggressive and confrontational” with the police, Mr Wright said.

He was taken into custody and the inside of the house was photographed and examined by a forensic scientist.

The jury saw a plan of the house and photographs of the blood staining in the living room were shown in court. There was blood on the settee, the carpet and up the walls, Mr Wright said.

The trial continues at 2.10pm.