A mentally ill woman who had to be rescued by the fire service after starting four blazes at her Bradford home has been spared an immediate prison sentence.

Yasmin Khan, 43, set her rented house at Pentland Avenue, Clayton, on fire at 9.15pm on August 31 then rang for help saying her bedroom was getting really hot and was full of black smoke.

The emergency services broke down the door and found her upstairs at the semi-detached property, Bradford Crown Court heard on Friday.

Prosecutor Christopher Moran said Khan was arrested at the scene when arson was suspected.

Fire investigators found that she had set two fires in one bedroom, another on a shelf in a second bedroom and a fourth in the oven, which was switched on. The blazes in the main bedroom were started on a bed and an ironing board.

Khan, who was remanded in custody in New Hall Prison, pleaded guilty to arson being reckless whether life was endangered.

Mr Moran said neighbours in the adjoining house were scared by the fires.

Burn patterns and smoke-logging suggested that Khan had started the fires by putting naked flames to combustible materials.

The court heard that numerous pieces of paper in the living room made reference to religion, suicide, the Metaphysical Dracula Society and Dead Trapped Souls.

Khan at first denied starting any fires and threatened to sue the ambulance service.

She had nine previous convictions for offences of dishonesty but nothing for arson or criminal damage. She had served a previous jail sentence for attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Probation and psychiatric reports spoke of her deteriorating mental health at the time.

Jo Shepherd said in mitigation that Khan had done extremely well on remand, taking her medication and earning a trusted position serving in the canteen.

She had been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and had sought help from her doctor three times before starting the fires.

Miss Shepherd asked the court to follow the recommendations and give Khan the opportunity to continue taking her medication and to access the help on offer in the community.

Judge Neil Davey QC sentenced her to 18 months imprisonment, suspended for 18 months, with a 30-day rehabilitation activity requirement.

He said he was satisfied that she was suffering from a serious mental disorder at the time.

She had made great strides to turn her life around while being held in prison, showing that she was capable of rehabilitation.