THREE men have been in court in Bradford over the last few months for stealing bottles of champagne from shops in the district.

Two of the men have been handed community sentences for their offending, while the other has been bailed and will be in court again in November.

All three admitted their criminal behaviour in hearings at Bradford and Keighley Magistrates’ Court.

First in was James McDonald, 19, of Fell Lane, Keighley, who pleaded guilty to stealing a £25 bottle of champagne from the Co-operative store in Brook Street, Ilkley, on October 9, 2020.

Appearing in court on July 7, he was handed a community order in which he must carry out 200 hours of unpaid work over the next year and also complete 40 days of rehabilitation activities.

He was also fined £295 after admitting a host of other offences; attempting to steal a bicycle worth £2,450 in Plantation Fold, Keighley, on August 7, 2020, stealing a £300 electric toothbrush from Boots in Brook Street, Ilkley, on July 31, 2020, stealing £100 of meat from Oakworth Co-op on August 4, 2020, stealing 14 items worth £193.90 from the same Co-op five days later, another £80 of meat from the same store a week later, and then six bottles of Grey Goose vodka the day after from Keighley Asda.

Next up was Neil Wong, 41, of South Street, Keighley, who admitted stealing two bottles of champagne worth £68 from Sainsbury’s in Keighley on August 4.

He also admitted stealing razor blades worth £92 from Keighley Morrisons a day before, and 11 jars of coffee worth £45 on July 19 and 20 from Poundland in Keighley, washing up pods from Poundland worth £15 on April 10, and an assault on the same date at Poundland.

He has been put on electronic tag for four months with a 7pm-7am curfew, and ordered to pay a total of £330 in compensation to all his victims.

Last up on September 16 was Jonathan Gillie, 36, from Athol Gardens in Ovenden, who stole a £20 bottle of champagne from Morrisons on August 12 and caused criminal damage to a wall at the store on the same date, and failing to surrender to police on September 3 at Bradford and Keighley Magistrates’ Court.

He has been put on conditional bail and is on electronic tag with a 7pm-7am curfew at his home and having to report to Halifax police station three times a week until his next appearance in court on November 2.