An engineer rolled his quad bike when he crashed into metal bollards on Leeds Old Road during a high speed police pursuit across central Bradford.

Nicholas Leach, 27, was test driving the machine when the police ordered him to stop on Albion Road, Idle, because he was speeding, Bradford Crown Court heard.

But Leach, of Acres Hall Crescent, Pudsey, accelerated away because he knew he wasn’t insured to drive to Suzuki bike.

Prosecutor Emma Downing told how he sped off in the rain along Idle Road at 9.10pm on February 23.

He was doing double the 30mph speed limit and he ran a red light almost hitting a private hire vehicle, the court heard.

Leach went down Dudley Hill Road and along Killinghall Road at 60mph, running two more red lights and again narrowly avoiding a collision.

He mounted the pavement on Leeds Old Road, lost control of the bike and crashed into metal bollards.

The machine overturned and Leach fled on foot but was caught and apprehended.

Officers seized the bike and Leach made immediate admissions when he attended at the police station, saying he was scared because he was uninsured and shouldn’t have been driving the bike.

He pleaded guilty to dangerous driving at his first appearance at the magistrates’ court.

His lawyer, Imran Khan, said that Leach had held a clean driving licence for more than nine years.

He was a self-employed agricultural engineer working very hard to support his family.

“This was a moment of madness when he panicked and saw the officers.

"It was a huge mistake on his part and he very much regrets it,” Mr Khan told the court.

Leach had reflected on his behaviour that night and was well aware of the danger he had put other drivers and the police officers in.

He had bought the bike to repair and sell on and was test driving it.

Mr Khan said Leach had a partner and a young child and was the carer for his disabled grandmother.

He had attended court on crutches after suffering a broken leg when repairing a digger during a motocross event.

Leach was on medication for anxiety and depression, Mr Khan said, and was fearful of going to prison.

Recorder Nicholas Lumley QC sentenced him to eight months imprisonment, suspended for two years, with 250 hours of unpaid work and a 12 week curfew order.

He was also ordered to pay £425 prosecution costs.

He was banned from driving for 12 months and until he passes an extended retest.