FIRE chiefs are urging householders to ensure they get chimneys checked and cleaned.

The plea follows a chimney blaze at a house in Whin Knoll Avenue, Keighley, last night.

The alarm was raised by a neighbour who spotted embers coming from the chimney.

One crew from Keighley fire station was called out initially, at about 8.50pm.

But assistance was requested from a Bradford-based aerial appliance and support pump.

"The chimney didn't have a lining – and soot all the way up the brickwork was on fire," said Keighley fire station crew manager, Joseph Brady.

"We tackled it with a hose reel jet and chimney rods but we also brought in the aerial appliance to put water on it from above."

Firefighters were at the scene for about two hours.

The fire was contained to the chimney, but there was some smoke-logging to the lofts of the semi-detached house and neighbouring property.

"I would encourage anyone who uses a wood-burning stove or similar to get their chimney lined, checked at least once a year and swept to prevent any accumulation of soot," said crew manager Brady.