BRADFORD rugby star Sam Burgess has seen a conviction of intimidation against him quashed related to an incident with his father-in-law.

Burgess, 32, had been found guilty last month of intimidation over the incident at his estranged wife's parent's home in Bowral, Australia, in October 2019.

However in a hearing at Goulburn District Court earlier today he successfully appealed the conviction and was acquitted of the offence.

The retired cross-code international had "finally been vindicated" and was "relieved he has got the judgement he deserves", said Burgess' lawyer.

Burgess was charged following a heated argument with his ex-wife Phoebe's father Mitchell Hooke, however earlier today Judge Mark Williams SC said the case was a matter of “he said, he said”, and was not satisfied Mr Hooke’s version of the altercation could be proven beyond reasonable doubt, the Sydney Morning Herald reported.

Burgess accepted an argument did take place but denied saying he was going to “get” his former father-in-law.

“This was a case of the word of Burgess against the word of Hooke,” Judge Williams said.

Judge Williams also questioned the accuracy of Mr Hooke’s version of events after both he and Ms Burgess “denied” speaking to anyone else prior to making statements to police, but phone records revealed they had both spoken to lawyers and a PR expert before going to police.

“The most telling aspect ... they denied having spoken to anyone else or seeking any advice before speaking to the police,” Judge Williams said.

“After Mr Burgess left the property Mr Hooke and Ms Burgess made numerous calls to lawyers over the course of the evening.”

Judge Williams ruled the incident did “not constitute intimidation” before quashing the conviction.

Judge Williams also questioned Mr Hooke and Ms Burgess’ motives and whether there was a “genuine desire” to bring the ex-footballer to justice.

Burgess had told the court on a previous occasion Mr Hooke had told him he was going “to ruin his career” during the argument.

After bursting on the rugby league scene aged 17 for Bradford Bulls, the Liversedge-born star played 88 matches for the Bulls and made his debut for Great Britain aged just 18.

He then signed a deal to play for South Sydney Rabbitohs in Australia's NRL where he made 96 appearances, securing his legend at the famous club by leading the team to the 2014 NRL Grand Final, playing 80 minutes in the middle of the park despite fracturing his cheekbone in the first tackle of the game, earning him the man of the match award.

He then switched codes, signing for rugby union side Bath, and earned a call up for the ill-fated 2015 Rugby Union World Cup.

He gained five caps for England before returning to rugby league and South Sydney in 2016, playing another 86 games for the club before injury forced him to retire at the end of 2019, having played 270 club matches and gained 26 caps for England and Great Britain.

He is widely regarded as one of the greatest forwards the NRL has ever seen, and one of Great Britain's greatest players, and now works in a coaching role for the Rabbitohs.

He played with his brothers Luke and twins Thomas and George at South Sydney. Elder brother Luke is also retired, while Thomas continues to play for the club and George last represented Wigan but is currently recovering from a hip injury.