TRIBUTES have been paid to a Bradford-born rugby league star who has died after contracting coronavirus.

Geoff Pryce has lost his battle against COVID-19. He was 59.

He was one of the first ever players to be honoured in the York RL Hall of Fame, and is the club’s fourth highest try scorer in the 152-year history of York RL.

Pryce was a one-club man, lining up for York between 1980 and 1993, making 286 appearances. He scored 101 tries (374 points).

One of his career highlights was scoring a hat-trick on his Yorkshire debut on May 26, 1982 in a 22–21 win over Lancashire at Leigh.

He is uncle to former Bradford Bulls players, Leon and Karl Pryce.

Pryce was guest of honour at York City Knights’ opening game of the 2018 Betfred Championship title-winning season against Bradford Bulls, where he delivered the match ball in front of over 4,000 adoring fans.

Officials from Geoff's former club, York City Knights, paid tribute to the legend.

John Flatman, Knights chairman, said: “Our thoughts and sympathy go to Geoff’s extended family.

“He will be sorely missed by everyone at York City Knights and the York rugby league community that he served and supported so well for so many years.

“Geoff is part of the fabric of York Rugby League, and we will make sure that we will honour his memory in a suitable way when we can all be together once again.”

John Stabler, Knights Honorary Club President, described Geoff as a 'barnstorming winger'.

He said: “My memories of Geoff are all good. He was an absolute joy, a great sense of humour and just a loveable man.

“My deepest condolences go out to his lovely wife Kay and the family. My late wife Jean and I used to sit next to Kay in the main stand at Clarence Street and we got to know her well.

“My early memories of Geoff were as a barn storming winger who had both pace and strength in abundance.

"There was a buzz in the crowd when the ball went out to his wing.

"When he moved into the second row he combined those block busting runs with an ability to tackle anything that moved for the full 80 minutes. He left nothing out there.

“An absolute hero, we will never forget him. When all this state of affairs is over we must pay tribute to the great man in a fitting way.”