THE CHANGING face of Horsforth can be seen in these photographs - with many showing buildings now long gone.

These images, covering a period spanning around a century, are from the archives of Aireborough Historical Society.

From industrial buildings to trams, from pubs to chapels the town has seen many changes over the decades of the 20th and 21st centuries.

While some buildings are still recognizable many have disappeared long ago.

One imposing building no longer with us is Horsforth Springwood Dyeworks, which was the business of Frederick Wilson and Co.The factory closed in 1971 and was demolished to be replaced with housing.

Another which has been demolished is the Primitive Methodist Chapel, on Town Street. An undated photograph shows crowds of people outside the chapel and a description at the bottom of the picture says it shows the demolition of the building.

Trams were once a familiar site on Horsforth’s streets, and in one undated photograph a vehicle can be seen near the Fleece Hotel on New Road Side. The pub has been at the heart of the community for many years and is still serving customers today. A shelter next to the pub shows an advertisement for John Smith’s Tadcaster Ales.

The first tram arrived in Horsforth in 1906. Trams ran until 1934 when they were replaced by buses.

A remarkable picture of the Old Ball Public House in 1969 shows not one but two versions of the pub - the original Old Ball on the left, before it was demolished, and the new version on the right. The picture was taken by Photographer Bryan Waite and donated to Aireborough Historical Society by his family.

Horsforth Police Station can be seen in a picture taken by Joanne Coultas in 2013. The station, just off Broadway, had been closed to the public since 1988. It was used as a base for the Rapid Response Unit but was shut down after that moved to Weetwood. The site has been used for new homes.

Another building which has now gone is Sandoz Chemical Works, shown here in 1964/66. The photograph was taken by James Farrar and was donated to Aireborough Historical Society by his son David Farrar.

The building has been demolished and the site has been used for housing.

The Horsforth site was originally opened by Sandoz, a textile dyes business that began in Bradford and was acquired by Clariant in 1995. But in 2009 Swiss-based Clariant - one of Horsforth’s main employers - confirmed production was to end at its Calverley Lane site.The international specialist chemicals company also announced it was axing 160 jobs in West Yorkshire and was selling its 48-acre site.

Another of the buildings no longer in existence was Horsforth Hall. Today the once imposing structure is all but forgotten by many - although its memory lives on in the name of the park where it once stood.

The hall was once an important buildings in the area and dated back to the early 1700s. It was home to the Stanhope family and was originally called New Hall. The family took up residence in their new home in 1707 when they moved from Low Hall. The parkland and the Hall were given to the people of Horsforth by Mr and Mrs William Mathieson in 1932. The building was demolished in the 1950s but the park is still a popular and well-used public space.

An undated picture of Manor Terrace shows a large house on the left which has now gone. Manor Road runs behind the houses shown in the image, which are close to Horsforth roundabout.