A DATE has been confirmed for a charity football match which will be held in honour of two West Yorkshire paramedics who both died after battles with illness this year.

On Friday 25 September, a game between Yorkshire Ambulance Service staff will take place at St Giles Road, the home of Brighouse Town FC, in a tribute to paramedics David Oates and Mark Stanley.

David - affectionately known as Davie by friends and family - worked for the Yorkshire Ambulance Service at Brighouse Ambulance Station, and later at its Northside Road base in Bradford.

He was diagnosed with motor neurone disease (MND) last year, and passed away on 30 April.

Mark, who also worked at Brighouse Ambulance Station, passed away on the same day, a week after being admitted to hospital with coronavirus.

The match next Friday will also raise funds for Scotty's Little Soldiers, a national charity which supports young people who have lost a parent who served in the armed forces.

Davie's 14-year-old son, Ned, chose the charity as it has supported him since his father's passing.

The match will also raise money for the Royal British Legion, as chosen by Mark's family.

Sam Oates, Davie's wife, said she "can't wait" for the charity match.

"I'm absolutely over the moon and excited for the game", she added.

"The responses from the staff at Yorkshire Ambulance Service have been unbelievable.

"Davie and Mark both served in the armed forces. They both served their community, as well as queen and country, so it's great that we can honour them like this, whilst also giving something back to charity and to people who may be in a difficult situation.

"I really hope as many as possible come along to show their support for good people and a good cause."

After losing his short battle with MND, Davie left behind wife Sam, daughter Nicola, 32, CJ, 30, Josh, 26, and Ned, 14, as well as two grandchildren Kian, 11, and Nancie, seven.

After his fight with coronavirus, Mark left behind his wife of 37 years, Jacqueline, two daughters, Isobel 33, Jessica, 28, and two granddaughters, Evelyn and Sienna, both three.

Mark's wife, Jacqueline, said in July: "Mark became ill in April and tested positive for COVID-19. A week after being admitted to hospital, Mark passed away. This shocked his family as he was a young, fit and healthy man."

She added that, after a military career of 11 years, Mark had always been supportive of the Royal British Legion.