A TEENAGER is back behind bars after holding a kitchen knife against a man’s neck and fleeing with an Audi A4 across the border to Lancashire. 

Saul Dixon-Shepherd, 19, appeared before Bradford Crown Court yesterday to be sentenced, along with his co-defendant Tyne Haggerty, 28. 

The court heard Audi owner Rene Makula, who was with friend Michael Webster, parked the car in a residential area of Keighley on March 23 this year.

Howard Shaw, prosecuting, said the pair approached the Audi from a white Seat, flagging the car down to ask for directions. 

Dixon-Shepherd then got in the back of the Audi, uninvited, and sat behind the front-seat passenger side. Haggerty then sat behind the driver. 

The court heard Dixon-Shepherd pulled a kitchen knife, with a blade of around 20cm, and held it to Mr Webster’s neck, causing a red mark, and demanded “give me all your stuff”. 

The two men jumped out, leaving the key in the ignition, and fled to a friend’s house nearby where they phoned the police. 

Dixon-Shepherd then climbed into the driver’s seat, while Haggerty went back to the Seat and they left the scene in convoy. 

Mr Makula’s phone was still in the Audi and he was able to track the location of his car, as it was driven from Keighley to Colne. 

Lancashire Police then became involved and managed to apprehend the pair. Dixon-Shepherd was arrested quickly from the scene, but Haggerty reversed at speed an in attempt to get away, ramming into the side of a police car and causing damage. He was then pulled from the vehicle and arrested and was found to be in possession of the stolen iPhone and a lock knife. 

Dixon-Shepherd, of Day Steet, Huddersfield, pleaded guilty to robbery, being in possession of a bladed article - the kitchen knife -  and driving without a licence, while Haggerty, of Bradford Road, Brighouse, pleaded guilty to handling stolen goods, careless driving and possession of a bladed article - the lock knife.

Both have previous convictions, were on licence at the time of the offences and were recalled to prison - Haggerty from an indeterminate sentence in 2010 and Dixon-Shepherd from a 40-month sentence in 2019. 

The court heard Dixon-Shepherd had experienced tragedy, with people close to him dying, had mental health difficulties, was self-medicating with drugs, had little stability and was mixing with an older group of people. 

While Haggerty was said to have been involved in criminal activity for a number of years, but there was a “glimmer of hope” as he sought stability in his life and had not intended to get involved.

Judge Jonathan Gibson said the robbery was “clearly a serious matter” and “must have been frightening for the occupants of the car”. 

Taking into account guilty pleas, Dixon-Shepherd was handed a four-year sentence, with an extension period of two years, as the judge ruled there was a significant risk of serious harm being caused by the commission of further offences. 

Haggerty was handed a 12-month sentence.