FIREFIGHTERS have determined that a chip pan was the cause of a house fire in Otley which left the resident with injuries.

Crews from Otley, Rawdon and Cookridge were called out to Lea Croft just before 7pm last night. 

Teams, wearing breathing apparatus, had to use one hose reel and a high powered fan to clear the house of smoke. 

The resident was left with cuts to his hands and was treated at the scene by the fire service.

He did not need to visit the hospital.

Before leaving, fire crews fitted the house with hard wired smoke detection. 

If you are in need of a new, free smoke detector, West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service will visit your home and carry out a ‘Safe & Well’ visit.

Visits are carried out seven days a week, from 9am to 9pm.

To book a visit, click here (directs you to West Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service website).