TWO people – including a 16-year-old boy – were taken to hospital following a fire in a first-floor flat.

The blaze broke out in the kitchen of the property in Williams Road, Steeton.

A 58-year-old woman and the youth were taken to Airedale Hospital for precautionary checks after inhaling smoke.

Crews from Keighley, Bingley and Silsden fire stations were called out to the incident, at about 7pm yesterday.

The firefighters wore breathing apparatus and used a hose reel to bring the blaze under control.

The fire – believed to have started in the cooker area – was contained to the kitchen, but there was smoke-logging to the rest of the flat.

A special high-pressure fan was used to help clear the smoke.

The occupants had been alerted when a smoke detector activated.

Watch commander Ahsan Ali, of Keighley Fire Station, said: "This shows the value of having working smoke alarms in your property.

"They alert you early when a fire breaks out and save lives.

"If there are no smoke detectors in your property or they're not working, contact us at the fire station – on 01535 607401 - and we'll install them and carry out a fire home safety check."