AN elderly man had to be taken to hospital after a house fire last night. 

West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (WYFRS) was called to the blaze at a property on Garfield Street, Allerton, at around 9.07pm yesterday.

Crews from Fairweather Green, Bingley and Shipley rushed to the scene.

They discovered the kitchen was alight, when they arrived.

A hose reel and two breathing apparatus were used, as well as positive pressure ventilation, to get inside and extinguish the fire.

An elderly male suffered smoke inhalation.

Fire service personnel administered first aid initially, before he was left in the hands of paramedics. 

The man was then taken to hospital, according to a spokesperson from Fairweather Green Fire Station.