TWO MALES aged 18 and 15 remain in police custody after being arrested on suspicion of murder following the death of Birstall man Robert Wilson, 53, on Thursday evening.

Police said Mr Wilson died as a result of injuries sustained in an attack at a pharmaceutical plant in Linthwaite, near Huddersfield.

A 39-year-old man suffered a serious injury, which is not believed to be life threatening and continues to be treated in hospital.

The two men are understood to have been stabbed in the altercation which occurred at 11.45pm.

Mr Wilson's family have described the nighttime supervisor at Thornton & Ross (T&R) as a 'loving and committed husband and father'.

West Yorkshire Police initially arrested five teenagers: Four males aged 18, 18, 17 and 15, and a 17-year-old girl under suspicious or murder and attempted murder.

Two males aged 18 and 17 and the 17-year-old girl have been released from custody facing no further action.

Warrants of further detention were granted for the two remaining suspects.

Mr Wilson's family released the following statement: "Robert was a loving and committed husband and father. As well as being loved and respected by work colleagues and friends. He leaves behind a devastated wife, Elaine, and two step children, Jack and Ella. The family would like to request privacy and respect during this difficult time."

A post mortem is being conducted today (Friday) to determine a cause of death for Mr Wilson, whose family are being supported by specially trained officers.

A number of floral tributes are being left at the entrance to T&R from friends and colleagues.

One man who left flowers did not wish to be named, but said he had worked with Mr Wilson for the past 15 years, initially at Kodak, in Morley, and for the past three years at T&R.

"It is a very big shock for everyone here (at T&R). He was a brilliant supervisor and had a smile for everyone. He was an extremely likeable man.

"We both worked at Kodak and then he came to T&R three years ago - two years after I came.

"He was the night shift supervisor and I worked the day shift.

"We got on really well. Everyone had great respect for him and he will be missed.

"I have no idea what occurred that night. I think he was probably trying to sort out a problem with youths. I suspect he was trying to get them away (from the site) to stop them being stupid. He was not confrontational."

A statement from T&R on Friday read: "Thornton & Ross (T&R) is shocked and saddened by the events that occurred within our grounds late last night. Our immediate thoughts are with the families and colleagues affected by this tragic incident. T&R is working to support West Yorkshire police as they conduct the murder Investigation to ascertain the full circumstances of the incident."

The Homicide and Major Enquiry Team was continuing its investigations this morning at the Manchester Road site and cordons remain in place around a forensic tent.

Assistant Chief Constable Mark Ridley of West Yorkshire Police, said: “A wide range of police enquiries remain ongoing into this extremely serious offence and we continue to hold two males in custody today.

“We will maintain increased police patrols in the Linthwaite area over the weekend to reassure residents as our enquiries continue. We continue to appeal for witnesses and CCTV and I again want to thank everyone who has come forwards with information to assist the investigation so far.”

Anyone who has information can contact the Homicide and Major Enquiry Team on 101 referencing police crime number 13200028683.

Information can also be given in confidence to the independent Crimestoppers charity on 0800 555 111.